Trying to patch a Oracle 9.3 (Linux) system it seems to find packages but they never seem to install

Automate Package Manager is a robust solution for MSPs seeking an efficient and streamlined approach to software management across diverse operating systems. With its cross-platform compatibility, integration with popular package managers like Chocolatey, Apt-get, Yum, and Homebrew makes it the go to choice for software update management.
Cubert

Trying to patch a Oracle 9.3 (Linux) system it seems to find packages but they never seem to install

Post by Cubert »

In a email, @strombly reported:
Trying to have it patch a Oracle 9.3 (Linux) system it seems to find packages but they never seem to install, Cubert responded in a forum post about he was not sure if it would work on that flavor of linux, I see the script running it finds packages but I find no trace of any installs.

Posted here by Cubert.

Cubert

Re: Trying to patch a Oracle 9.3 (Linux) system it seems to find packages but they never seem to install

Post by Cubert »

This is how I would start to troubleshoot this issue. Is this an Auto Install or Auto Update Issue? This will help define where to start looking.

We've divided the primary functions of APM into various tasks, each assigned to specific groups for effective management. Except for one crucial task involves continuous testing within Automate to determine if any schedules are set for updating agents. Auto Updates can only proceed if the following conditions are satisfied:
  • Agent is Enabled
  • Agent framework is available
  • Agent is online
  • Agent is Enabled for Auto Updates
  • Scheduled Hour and Day have been met
To verify whether these conditions are met, inspect the agents' EDFs under Automate Package Manager. If an update has been executed, the EDFs should display a last update date.

Automate will schedule the "APM Update Packages" script for an agent if the scheduled hour/day is reached, and the aforementioned conditions are met.

All other functions are organized and controlled by groups. Within your group list, you will find Automate Package Manager, which contains several subgroups, each representing a specific function. For instance, in the context of "Auto Installing Approved Packages," the APM Deploy Approved Packages group will oversee the installation of approved packages.

Group.png
Group.png (199.87 KiB) Viewed 396 times

Within the Groups - Computers - Scheduled Scripts Tab, you can locate the schedule and script name that will be executed when an agent joins the group. This script runs every 4 hours on any agent within the group. Upon completion of the script on an agent, the EDF Auto Installs Completed should be marked with a check in the box. This action disqualifies the agent from the Deploy Approved Packages group, leading to its disassociation from the group.

The intention is for this group to remain mostly empty. Agents are expected to briefly join the group for approximately 4 hours, executing the script once, and then leaving the group before the next scheduled script. You have the flexibility to adjust the schedule to your preferences. However, it's important to note that setting the schedule too fast (under 15 minutes per run) may result in agents executing the script twice before departing from the group.

group-script-schedule.png
group-script-schedule.png (52.32 KiB) Viewed 396 times

Each group is configured with a search setup designed to automatically include any agent that meets specific criteria based on the set EDFs. For the Auto Installs group, agents must satisfy the following conditions: they must be enabled, the Package Manager should indicate as deployed, Auto Installs must be enabled, and Auto Installs Completed should be disabled.

A noteworthy point to consider is that if you wish to have an agent undergo the auto installs process again—perhaps due to adding new packages to the list or if the agent encountered failures during the previous auto install—you can achieve this by unchecking the Auto Installs Completed EDF and saving the changes. This action should prompt the agent to rejoin the Deploy Approved Packages group, allowing for a fresh attempt at installing the packages.

search.png
search.png (278.66 KiB) Viewed 396 times

Review the agent EDFs to determine the current status of the agent within the stack of functions. For every function that needs enabling in the EDFs, there is a corresponding EDF indicating that the automated group functions have completed their tasks. To initiate a retry for any specific function, simply uncheck the acknowledgement checkbox associated with that particular function. This action will prompt the system to reattempt the function, ensuring that the agent goes through the necessary processes again.

edf.png
edf.png (62.92 KiB) Viewed 396 times

Now this just describes the basics of how tasks are managed in Automate Package Manager. What we need next is to find out where in the stack of functions this agent sits, then we can look into that function to see what the agent logged if anything. We also may have server side logs on Automate that is you have an on-primes install of Automate we can get the logs to see what Automate was doing at the time.

And yes, I agree, We should see about capturing those logs from the server and making them available in the plugin. Sounds like a great feature to have.

strombly

Re: Trying to patch a Oracle 9.3 (Linux) system it seems to find packages but they never seem to install

Post by strombly »

ok the APM Deploy Approved Packages group is empty, I have enabled the Location.
I have also tried to assign a policy to a specific test machine, Lum-Test-Oracle.
when I click save the assigned policy never appears in the list of assigned policies ( see image)
and if I try to apply the policy to a location I get an error message- Failed to save assigned location policy.
now I have enabled the location and it it does see another linux box in that location and says there a packages available.
I have attached additonal images of the scan there are two errors at the end of the scan, and also a pic of the EDF that are checked for that system.
Attachments
2024-02-15_10-49-54.png
2024-02-15_10-49-54.png (45.39 KiB) Viewed 379 times
2024-02-15_10-50-45.png
2024-02-15_10-50-45.png (104.59 KiB) Viewed 379 times
2024-02-15_10-47-55.png
2024-02-15_10-47-55.png (54.93 KiB) Viewed 379 times
2024-02-15_10-46-45.png
2024-02-15_10-46-45.png (30.83 KiB) Viewed 379 times

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Ok test #1,

Try re adding a location again but, make sure to select the location and the policy in the drop downs, don't just assume that since they are listed they are selected.

I believe this maybe why it failed to save. If so I'll fix that in coming releases Let me know here if that process allowed the save.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

As for the errors, I'll look into that but from the return shown in image, all data was returned as expected for a "Scan" and you are seeing packages that are installed on agent and the versions they are.

It also shows via your EDFs that everything is enabled (Auto installs and Auto Updates) and that both the daily scans are completing and it looks like the Installs were pushed out.

The next thing to monitor is do we get a Update Date sometime after our scheduled updates settings.

strombly

Post by strombly »

ok, I removed and rebuilt the policy. disabled reenabled the location. the patches should have installed this morning form the old policy if it was working correctly.
Also i enabled a location, but as there are 4 other linux boxes under that location, I did want them all patched Just the Lum-Test box,
so when trying to assign the policy to that one system it doesn't seem to save or show its applied
we also had Linux Update manager, I had disabled it but reenabled it and scanned the same machine today. see the images below.
Attachments
scan with Linux Update Manager.png
scan with Linux Update Manager.png (37.67 KiB) Viewed 344 times
Save no policy assigned.png
Save no policy assigned.png (7.82 KiB) Viewed 344 times
try to apply policy.png
try to apply policy.png (6.54 KiB) Viewed 344 times
enabled agent.png
enabled agent.png (5.88 KiB) Viewed 344 times
Policy.png
Policy.png (49.4 KiB) Viewed 344 times

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

If you want to enable a single agent, then that is easy. Open agent console and manually check to APM - Enable Agent.

If this is all you do then the agent will go through the different functions to validate package manager and version of package manager and will preform a scan daily of agent for installed packages. Once this first scan is fully completed the Update schedule should fire off but not before.

If you do not have Auto install or Auto Update checked then no action other than to read the current packages installed and their versions. Even if you have a policy applied, if the physical boxes are not checked there is no activity. This allows you to override a applied policy where needed or halt any activity on agent after policy setup.

I have now added a the Automate Server Logs Parser into plugin so you can monitor the logs for the Automate Automation.

Screenshot 2024-02-18 112441.png
Screenshot 2024-02-18 112441.png (23.26 KiB) Viewed 310 times

These logs now show detail information when update actions take place on agents.

Installs, Scans, Package Manager updates all go through Groups. You should see dates in plugin for when these groups are successfully run.

So to verify a update script was pushed see server logs, then follow script logs for any script returns that show an error during updates if you have an issue. Post those script and server logs here.

strombly

Post by strombly »

ok looks like its trying and failing at least per the server logs
Attachments
2024-02-20_10-07-23.png
2024-02-20_10-07-23.png (19.61 KiB) Viewed 268 times

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Can you confirm that no scripts were scheduled at the event time on agent?

If so I will look at that process to see what its doing to cause a failure.

strombly

Post by strombly »

nothing running at that time
Attachments
2024-02-20_16-38-58.png
2024-02-20_16-38-58.png (64.85 KiB) Viewed 257 times

Return to “Automate Package Manager”