(PR) Auto Upgrades Keeps disabling.

Patch Remedy 5 is the next generation of the Plugins4Automate Patch Remedy family of products.
This forum is used to support Patch Remedy 5 only, if your using a previous version of Patch Remedy please see the forum for that version below.
Inside you will find the documentation project for the plugin were you can get insights on how to operate and use Patch Remedy 5.
NathanWilson

(PR) Auto Upgrades Keeps disabling.

Post by NathanWilson »

Hi!

I've corrected this a few times now but given Patch Remedy is quite slow when used with a cloud hosted RMM (Automate cloud = slow) so it's becoming an issue for us. I have to keep checking weekly that clients have Auto updates enabled, and there's always clients that have reverted back to disabled? Why does this keep happening?

Also I'm seeing a lot of clients with failed patches, but only the option to run the failed patch fix against individual PCs - We have over 4000 so I don't have time to do this, is there a way I can to do this on mass?

Cheers :)

Cubert

Re: (PR) Auto Upgrades Keeps disabling.

Post by Cubert »

Yeap, You hand Automate 4K worth of agents and I bet everything starts to slow just a little....

As for the Update setting issue, We do not have anything that would automatically update or change a setting once it has been set. The settings either set the database table columns for that field to 0 or 1 based on enabled or disabled. Once that happens there is nothing automated that has the ability to change that setting. Only the control in the plugin can change that setting ( barring someone manually editing the database table and changing setting with a SQL query). So for it to revert back and forth is very odd behavior and maybe a sign of some other issue.

My first troubleshooting process on this would be to ask if you are the only one managing Patch Remedy or do you have other engineers that may at some point change a setting on you? That would be the most obvious answer. If not then my next question is this random at all or can we see any patterns in this disabling? Like is it always the same client or does it happen of random clients. Does this happen on any schedule? every 3 days etc... This would help us understand what is happening to cause such issue. Can you also verify that when setting the option that it was actually set? To do this you would make a change. Close the plugin completely and relaunch plugin, then go back to setting and see if it remains as you set it. It it reverted back at that time then it most likely failed to actually set the setting and so the value remains what it was prior to setting change. This would be the most likely reason for the setting to "appear" to revert back.

As for mass updates, We have a Client wide Update button that will cause Windows to reattempt and missing updates based on what's approved for Windows agent. This can be executed at will and will tell Windows to reprocess missing updates on all agents under client.

We do not have a Automate Wide update button current available but id that is something you might find useful we can look to add that into Patch Remedy. Keep in mind that this only works on "online agents" so if you have a client with alot of offline agents during the time you execute this, they will be skipped.

Screenshot 2022-08-18 103417.png
Screenshot 2022-08-18 103417.png (107.11 KiB) Viewed 2522 times

NathanWilson

Post by NathanWilson »

Hi Cubert,

Thanks for the detailed response! I'm the only person managing PatchRemedy, the idea was set this to go on a Thursday and I watch it work its magic; to be honest nothing out of the ordinary happens when it reverts, I tried this today so:

Client X - Deselected the Auto Updates so it could do its own thing
Prompt popped up confirming this was now enabled
Went back 10mins later, box is enabled again :(

As for mass updates, having one for 'All Clients' which have the box deselected would be perfect! But I was also referring to the fix failed patches element where you right click a device and deploy PR Patch Fix, we have around 3000 updates failing at the moment, well guesstimate some could just be offline agents as you say. But I'm hoping to do something like blanket the entire Automate estate saying fix patches i.e. delete CatRoot, clean SoftDist which is what PR fix does, if this makes sense?

I could probably script this outside of PR but your script is already tried and tested haha, is there nothing where I can copy the PR script and place the MYCMD option to do a repair of a sort?

Cheers!

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Client X - Deselected the Auto Updates so it could do its own thing
Prompt popped up confirming this was now enabled
Went back 10mins later, box is enabled again :(
SOB! your right! just ran a test on my host and that switch is not being set in the DB when selected now. I will have a peek at the code and fix that.. not sure why it happened but we'll get that backup and functional.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Ok after a code review we found the issue.

The settings are being set as they should be when selecting or deselecting checkboxes (so that's good). The issue is we prefetched the data so even though we set all agents to X the plugin was holding the prefetch data and displaying results from that.

The fix was to force a reload of agent data after any settings changes using the checkboxes. This also effected the agent level checkboxes and so if you modified an agents settings directly and moved off the agent then back on to agent in Patch Remedy the setting "looked" like it reverted back to old data. But in fact it had been updated.

This means that the function was working but the display of that setting was not...

This should now be fixed in 1.0.5.11

Get 1.0.5.11 here

https://delivery.shopifyapps.com/-/3f26 ... c92f077283

Upgrade your PR , close and relaunch Control Center log back in and retry PR, should now reflex updates.

NathanWilson

Post by NathanWilson »

Perfect thanks so much as always Cubert!

NathanWilson

Post by NathanWilson »

Hi Cubert,

Sadly even on the new version this still appears to be happening? I'm now having to check them weekly to ensure all are enabled,

All but 1 of our clients has everything enabled, then when I check again they have auto updates and upgrades disabled :\ it also doesn't appear to just be the tick box misreporting, as when checking the scripts/commands aren't running for those clients per schedule either,

Would you mind taking another look at this? If it helps it appears to only be impacting our larger clients, perhaps its timing out trying to reach all endpoints or something?

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Ok I will PM you to setup T&P

NathanWilson

Post by NathanWilson »

Cubert wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:44 pm Ok I will PM you to setup T&P
Perfect cheers Cubert!

NathanWilson

Post by NathanWilson »

Hi Cubert,

I've not heard anything from you as of yet, would it be possible to get this reviewed as soon as possible? Preferably prior to our next patch run which will be Thursday 29th,

Cheers,

Return to “Patch Remedy 5”