Patch Remedy 5 : Upgrade to Windows 11

Patch Remedy 5 is the next generation of the Plugins4Automate Patch Remedy family of products.
This forum is used to support Patch Remedy 5 only, if your using a previous version of Patch Remedy please see the forum for that version below.
Inside you will find the documentation project for the plugin were you can get insights on how to operate and use Patch Remedy 5.
gq85

Patch Remedy 5 : Upgrade to Windows 11

Post by gq85 »

HI Team,

I am trying to upgrade Windows 10 laptop to windows 11 with PatchRemedy 5 but its not working. I have also checked the Laptop is compatible with windows 11.

After I schedule the upgrade on the agent, it does download the "Win11Upgrade.exe" file at location c:/temp and I can also see Windows Installation Assistance (32 bit) but it's not doing anything.

Below is the output from logfile at the same location (c:/temp)
------------
2022-04-05 13:47:04 - Info: Script init - User: TestComputer$ Machine TestComputer
2022-04-05 13:47:04 - Current Windows Version: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19043.0
2022-04-05 13:47:04 - Info: Checking for elevated permissions...
2022-04-05 13:47:04 - Info: Code is running as administratorgo on executing the script...
2022-04-05 13:47:04 - Will try to download Windows Update Assistant..
2022-04-05 13:47:06 - System is now updating.
----------------

I have also tried using the manual upgrade via "Upgrade Agent" button but its only upgrading windows 10 to another OS build not giving me option to select windows 11.

Thank you in Advance.

Cubert

Re: Patch Remedy 5 : Upgrade to Windows 11

Post by Cubert »

Windows 11 is only 64 bit, If you are showing any 32 bit anything then Windows 11 is not going to work for you.

If you look in the Patch Remedy under that agent what does the "Windows 11 Prep value say"

Here is an example of one of my win32 systems on Windows 10 but will never see Windows 11

PR-Win11-ready.png
PR-Win11-ready.png (36.01 KiB) Viewed 1991 times

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

I believe that Patch Remedy is set to check the 32/64 bit issues prior to any windows 11 installs attempts so the fact your getting all the way to "Update started" says you must be a 64 bit agent.

Correct us if I am wrong as I am assuming this from logs.

You are correct that the "Upgrade button" only sends the same OS upgrade and does not provide a switch. Only scheduled upgrades provides a Windows 10 to 11 switch.

If you get all the way to Update started in the logs then the failure is form within the Microsoft upgrade process.

The plugin gets everything to the agent but then Windows has to take over and preform the update. So if that is not happening then try manually to run the upgrader file that was downloaded. If you launch it and try to run upgrade does it fail somewhere in the process?

Once the plugin launches the upgrader file, it is released from command and allowed to end successfully. It is then the next steps of the Windows Update Assistant to complete the updates. Sounds like that is failing.

gq85

Post by gq85 »

Yes when we schedule upgrade via Patch Remedy, it does download the Win11Upgrade.exe on the laptop and start the application but it doesnt do anything. Not sure if its missing any switch or permission in the script.

Yes it's downloading 32 bit application not 64 bits.

When I run the Win11Upgrade.exe manually (just by douple clicking), it ask me to click on "Accept and Install" if I accept it starts downloading and if don't accept it, Windows Installation Assistant (32 bit) stays in the task manager and dont do it.
Task Manager.png
Task Manager.png (50.53 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
Windows 11 Accept and Install POPup .png
Windows 11 Accept and Install POPup .png (158.93 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
I believe when we schedule via Patch Remedy, it stuck at the same page and not able to perform auto "Accept and Install"

g-squad

Post by g-squad »

This seems to be a pretty common issue where you can't do a silent upgrade of windows 11. The EULA seems to always need user input even with the command switches /quiet /eula accept.

Not sure if anyone else has found a way around this?

jdickason

Post by jdickason »

So upgrading from windows 10 to windows 11 does not work from patch remedy 5 even if it says upgrade ready?

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

For Windows 11 upgrades we deploy a POSH script that does the basics to environment to get upgrade rolling, download the update and execute it with the following agrs.

Code: Select all

/auto upgrade /quiet /eula accept /Compat ignorewarning /copylogs $LogDir

There are several more switches we could send but the Microsoft docs show that this should be sufficient to roll without EULA popup stopping the upgrade.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... windows-11

g-squad

Post by g-squad »

From everything we tried the "/eula accept" just doesn't work. We have had to go back and manually upgrade to win 11 from 10 due to this.

Return to “Patch Remedy 5”