Cannot make plugin to work.

This forum is for supporting the PFSense plugin and any internal scripts and services.
Dawid_FS

Cannot make plugin to work.

Post by Dawid_FS »

Hello,

I am trying to set up a plugin in Labtech/automate but for some reason, it's not working.

I have credentials saved in the proper tab on a location but after I turn on management nothing is showing. If there are some extra steps that need to be done? Like installing labtech again on a pfsense ?

I cannot find any KB for this plugin. Can anyone please help me with this ?

Cubert

Re: Cannot make plugin to work.

Post by Cubert »

Did you get a chance to review viewtopic.php?t=5199

If, so could you screenshot the errors returned in the scanning terminal.

Dawid_FS

Post by Dawid_FS »

Hello,

After I enable the plugin and try to update it nothing pops up like in the video so I have no idea what's happening.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

You are absolutely right. The video is showing an older version of the plugin. It was rewritten to backup using a script instead so the live pop up terminal window does not happen anymore.

So 2 things.

#1 you will need to allow the script to finish before you might see any data.

#2 Search scheduled scripts log for PFSense For LabTech Maintenance scripts sent to an agent on that location.

Open agents console and look at script logs to see the results of the script. Did it complete, fail or return some reason for failure?

Post that here.

Also are you seeing any "License Expired" messages anywhere in plugin?

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

I have also noticed It has been awhile since we visited this code base, so I am taking chance while its in front of me to give it a few basic updates its needing. I suspect it's maybe having license issues, it is using a license class from 2015. It references Labtech everywhere which dates the application... So look for version .17 to be released here in the next couple of days, maybe a week as I need to spin up a PFSense device in my dev environment. I will need to validate it still can command the latest versions of PFSence.

Dawid_FS

Post by Dawid_FS »

Ok, looking forward to your reply.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

We reviewed the plugin, there is nothing here really worth keeping.

This was written to use a hack on PFSense 1.3 systems. That hack no longer works as it should now that we are in 2.+ builds.

The positive side of this is that during our review we found a supported and easy to install PFSense API modules that provides a JSON GET/POST environment that is secure and will allow what looks like complete control over the PFSense device verses just a few choice commands.

So What we are going to do is, do a complete rewrite using this API as the fundamental go between Automate and PFSense.

We are now taking requests for features on what you would like to see first in the plugin.

#1 We have the HTTPS socket redirector already in there and verified it works as expected with the new PFSense builds. That provides direct Web browser from the TECH PC to the PFSense web configurator. Wont need to open a agent to gain access to firewalls.

#2 we will bring in the basics like what interfaces are up and active, what firewall rules you have in place and VPN statuses.

This is were we plan to start.

Dawid_FS

Post by Dawid_FS »

Hello,

Here is a list of features I would like to have if possible ( some or all of them), I don't know what exactly is already working in the new plugin as I will be configuring it today.

- Backup function to xml file
- Gateways status
- Upgrade firmware function
- Reboot function
- View firmware versions
- Restart services
- VPN client export (certificate with configuration and openvpn installation)
- manage DNS and DHCP records
- Show user databases local/ActiveDirectory
- Create new user (password auto-generated with certificate)

Looking forward to it.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

What we have today is
  • One button - Direct access to Web configurator with no need to RDP desktops
  • Automatic XML backups daily stored in the Automate database.
  • Export tool for the XML backups. Place XMLs directly on techs workstation.
  • Current status of rules, nats, carp, virtual ip's, aliases and schedules.
  • current load, mem, swap and disk stats.
  • Current used firewall states and max states available.
  • Ability to run any command at command line from plugin.
  • Stores command history so you can see what was run and the results from previous commands.
  • Ability to re-run any saved command with just a quick click of mouse.
Instant access to the web configurator is probably the most awesome part as you can control it all right there without third party. The next is all the stats we are collecting. Its in Automate now so you can use that data in alarms, alerts, tickets, data views and so on!

Dawid_FS

Post by Dawid_FS »

Hello,

I have a hard time making this plugin connect with pfsense. I have an API installed but when I try to add it to the plugin connection is not being made.
What are the requirements for this to work?
Do I need to connect using a local network or external?
If it's external what do I need to whitelist on pfsense for connectwise plugin to be able to connect with pfsense ?
Please give more information to it or if this is explained already can you provide a link?

Thanks!

Return to “PFSense 4 LabTech”