Habitat plugins missing from Locations

Support forums for the Habitat Automate plugin
MarkHodges

Habitat plugins missing from Locations

Post by MarkHodges »

Its been forever since I looked at the plugin settings for habitat, but I was trying to find the 3PP settings to enable it for workstations or servers at the client or location level. Under client, I don't see 3PP listed as a tab and under locations I see zero habitat plugins at all listed although I am sure I used to before.

Am I missing something?

I am on the 1.0.12 release it looks like.

Cubert

Re: Habitat plugins missing from Locations

Post by Cubert »

3PP? Not sure I am aware of such a tool? Can you elaborate on this? What is 3PP

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Oh maybe your talking

3rd Party Publishers?

You want the 3rd party Application update manager, yes?

Its now Habitat Applications Manager and there is a client Tab for it.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (51.32 KiB) Viewed 3219 times

MarkHodges

Post by MarkHodges »

yes..thats what I was looking for. I guess I better dig into logs...nothing is current and most of my app installs seemed to have stopped in June...
In the habitat plugin I see that 3rd party application manager is enabled.
when i look at app logs...nothing shows up recently for the application log viewer...infact these are the only logs I can see when using habitat to look at logs and

LTAgent v210.132 - 12/3/2021 7:57:48 PM - Plugin Habitat, Version=1.0.1.12, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: Habitat Command (Manual Parse Server Logs) Started.:::
LTAgent v210.132 - 12/3/2021 7:57:48 PM - Plugin Habitat, Version=1.0.1.12, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: Habitat Command (Manual Parse Server Logs) removing stale data from database:::
LTAgent v210.132 - 12/3/2021 7:57:48 PM - Plugin Habitat, Version=1.0.1.12, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: Habitat Command (Manual Parse Server Logs) The file [Plugin_App_Genie.txt] has [2241] log entries:::
LTAgent v210.132 - 12/3/2021 7:57:49 PM - Plugin Habitat, Version=1.0.1.12, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: Habitat Command (Manual Parse Server Logs) The file [Plugin_App_Genie.txtold.txt] has [3275] log entries:::
LTAgent v210.132 - 12/3/2021 7:57:50 PM - Plugin Habitat, Version=1.0.1.12, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: Habitat Command (Manual Parse Server Logs) The file [Plugin_CCleanerForAutomate.txt] has [1724] log entries:::
LTAgent v210.132 - 12/3/2021 7:57:51 PM - Plugin Habitat, Version=1.0.1.12, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: Habitat Command (Manual Parse Server Logs) The file [Plugin_CCleanerForAutomate.txtold.txt] has [2792] log entries:::
LTAgent v210.132 - 12/3/2021 7:57:52 PM - Plugin Habitat, Version=1.0.1.12, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: Habitat Command (Manual Parse Server Logs) The file [Plugin_ConnectWise.txt] has [1976] log entries:::

I do see this in the logs but the list of agent ID's is literally 66 agents out of 500+ in the system

LTAgent v210.132 - 12/3/2021 7:35:18 PM - Plugin Habitat, Version=1.0.1.12, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: Starting Application Manager Framework Installer:::
LTAgent v210.132 - 12/3/2021 7:35:18 PM - Plugin Habitat, Version=1.0.1.12, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: Application Manager scheduling framwork installs on agent ID - 43:::
LTAgent v210.132 - 12/3/2021 7:35:18 PM - Plugin Habitat, Version=1.0.1.12, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: Application Manager scheduling framwork installs on agent ID - 79:::
LTAgent v210.132 - 12/3/2021 7:35:18 PM - Plugin Habitat, Version=1.0.1.12, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: Application Manager scheduling framwork installs on agent ID - 129:::
LTAgent v210.132 - 12/3/2021 7:35:18 PM - Plugin Habitat, Version=1.0.1.12, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: Application Manager scheduling framwork installs on agent ID - 200:::
LTAgent v210.132 - 12/3/2021 7:35:18 PM - Plugin Habitat, Version=1.0.1.12, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: Application Manager scheduling framwork installs on agent ID - 220:::

when looking at one of these agents (lets pick Agent ID 79). In the habitate app management plugin its not current and it only shows 2 applications..neither which are up to date, have logs, but they are enabled.

Not sure what is happening. I see a weekly schedule on them so in theory they should be updating.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Can you confirm you Habitat build version? Should be on build 1.0.1.12

Issue, Only 46 agents are logged.

This is normal, The log is deploying framework so it it sees 46 online agents that have not deployed framework yet or are having framework install issues. Should look at agent script and command logs to see what was returned when framework install was attempted.

With the newest builds of Habitat the Application manager now works differently from before. To improve bandwidth usage for medium to large clients, improve delivery, prevent Chocolatey community Repo lockouts and to prevent limiting we redesigned how we deploy applications and updates.

This forum post will explain the changes and how to get Application manager up and zipping along.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=5891&sid=a0ecde18e ... b60182d141

This tread is still active and we have worked through most of the common issues users have been having with new build. Some good information.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=5864&p=8879&sid=a0 ... d141#p8879

See if any of this helps or makes since to you and your issues. Post back any data or screenshots you may have and what you have found.

I would also make sure you have a resent DBagent restart so your are sure to be running the latest DLL on the server as well as in the Control center.

MarkHodges

Post by MarkHodges »

I am on the latest .12...let me go through the other thread....
as I mentioned, I kind of just set it and forget it for a while as we had other processes in place too...

MarkHodges

Post by MarkHodges »

I am on 1.0.1.12 and DB agent was restarted yesterday for bitdefender plugin update.

Everything actually looks ok in the main config.
habitat 0.png
habitat 0.png (33.02 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
I don't have caching enabled but I assume thats not needed anyhow since these guys don't have common storage onprem.
habitat 1.png
habitat 1.png (22.46 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
I don't seem to be able to get things on a daily schedule (for testing). the remove button doesn't do anything.
habitat 2.png
habitat 2.png (17.21 KiB) Viewed 2761 times

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

MarkHodges wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:43 pm I am on 1.0.1.12 and DB agent was restarted yesterday for bitdefender plugin update.

Everything actually looks ok in the main config.
habitat 0.png

I don't have caching enabled but I assume thats not needed anyhow since these guys don't have common storage onprem.
habitat 1.png

I don't seem to be able to get things on a daily schedule (for testing). the remove button doesn't do anything.

habitat 2.png

Problem # 1

"I don't have caching enabled but I assume that's not needed anyhow since these guys don't have common storage onprem."

After reviewing the document for this I failed to find where it stated that a location drive is mandatory so I have corrected this in the document.

In the document it reads at the bottom.
The heart of the system is the ability to use cache drive locations to feed the mass of agents while having just one agent actually stepping out on to the internet to manage the cache at each location. This saves time and energy it would otherwise take to allow each agent at the location to download the same packages repeatedly. This also prevents exceeding the community repository limits and causing agents to skip installs and updates.
Choclatey.org has really locked down the community repo to excessive requests so as you may have noticed in to original version many clients went uninstalled because of this. We tried creating some staggering of installs and setup the ability to slow installs but still saw limit reached regularly. We needed a way to deliver without exceeding limits and do it consistently. The only way is to limit the number of agents making requests from chocolatey.org. This means we needed to be able to pick an agent as the speaker of the network location and then collect the packages and allow for local distribution and install/update.

The caching drive does not need to be a big investment. Any workstation that can afford 1.5GB of drive space could supply the space needed to cache the packages for local deployment. Does not require a NAS or server share to function, just a location all agents can touch via the network. Making sure the permissions on the share are correctly set is typically the biggest issue. See the help document towards the bottom for the configuration set how-to.

We have heard from several customers that this is not used and or is not setup for use. We see it as a Client onboarding process that is best practices. By pre configuring a local share at each client you onboard and setting up this caching location allows tool through out Automate to utilize the caching nature of the location and will be reflected in the decrease in bandwidth used by Automate processes. It is a one time set that should allow the automation of patch management for your clients deployed software and allows you to quickly deploy new application. A good solid trade off for feature improvement.

Second Issue

"I don't seem to be able to get things on a daily schedule (for testing). the remove button doesn't do anything."

This tells you what is currently set, as you select and change dates or use the remove button, this text should change telling you if you are set to weekly or monthly else the default is daily as stated. The remove Setting changes this text back to the Daily is the Default text and sets the system back to daily. Otherwise the text will say monthly or weekly based on what you save.

You are not the first to be a bit confused by this. I will look at this and see if we can change the behavior so it is more apparent which of the 3 settings is currently active.

Inkedhabitat 2_LI.jpg
Inkedhabitat 2_LI.jpg (898.29 KiB) Viewed 2750 times

MarkHodges

Post by MarkHodges »

ok...so the caching makes sense...how do we handle 10 laptops all sitting in people's homes with no central office? not patch them now?

For the larger offices, We can setup the sharing on some workstation or ideally a server, and agree this is probably the only way around these issues

For the schedule, I see now..if I hit save then I would have had a weekly schedule but since the buttons were greyed out, it was a daily schedule.

My biggest problem is really going to be dealing with the shares, especially in these work from home situations.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

We are going to be adding new logic to the service to allow for better management of "Home Alone" agents. You will be able to select the agents that just install directly no matter what. This function is on our roadmap and is due out in January 2022.

Return to “Habitat”