Habitat OS Types Tool

Detailed descriptions and imagery explaining each tool available inside Habitat. Feel free to post feature requests under each tools forum post if you would like to see something added or changed in the tools.
Cubert

Habitat OS Types Tool

Post by Cubert »

Habitat OS Types Charting Tool

The OS Types Tool provides you with a view into your environment charting Windows 10 and Windows Server OS versions across all clients. The tool counts Windows 7,8 Mac and Linux agent totals and provides a detail viewer for all agent types that you can use to quickly access the Client, location and Computer consoles.

The OS Types Tool Tab
OSTypes-Tab.PNG
OSTypes-Tab.PNG (10.31 KiB) Viewed 9690 times

OS Types Charts
OSTypesTab.PNG
OSTypesTab.PNG (25.03 KiB) Viewed 9691 times

Clicking any chart will launch viewer where you have menu options to manage the Client, Location or Agent directly.

OS Types Viewer

OSTypesViewer.PNG
OSTypesViewer.PNG (36.53 KiB) Viewed 9691 times

JvdMaat

Re: Habitat OS Types Tool

Post by JvdMaat »

I think you may need to rethink this for larger MSPs:
2021-06-07 15_12_15-Window.png
2021-06-07 15_12_15-Window.png (11.99 KiB) Viewed 9665 times
Only two of the bars ended up getting named.

If you can do a mouseover tooltip over each bar, or some other identification, that would probably be helpful, since trying to fit in 30 labels is a bit ridiculous.

(Or only show bars that have at least 2 systems in it, and lump the rest in "other")

Are these sorted? (ie, oldest on the left, newest on the right?)

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Awesome!

That was just what I needed. We have a limited number of agents available in Dev so sometimes we don't get to see first hand how sizing matters. We will have a peek at this to see how better to manage it. It the interim, if you expand the size of the window does more data become readable? Will it scale out for you?

How did the Windows Server chart work out for you? Can we get a screen shot of that ?

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

I think this view kind of makes my point for this tool. From my review I am seeing (51) different versions of Windows 10 across your environment. The tool is pointing out how many agents that have some updates paths available to them.

This is where the WIndows Upgrade Assistant tool should come into play. Maybe look at adding a means to select all agent under a given chart bar and assign a upgrade policy and schedule to them.

JvdMaat wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:16 pm I think you may need to rethink this for larger MSPs:
2021-06-07 15_12_15-Window.png
Only two of the bars ended up getting named.

If you can do a mouseover tooltip over each bar, or some other identification, that would probably be helpful, since trying to fit in 30 labels is a bit ridiculous.

(Or only show bars that have at least 2 systems in it, and lump the rest in "other")

Are these sorted? (ie, oldest on the left, newest on the right?)

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

We have now updated this chart as follows.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (23.55 KiB) Viewed 9519 times

We have removed the Windows 10 OS type and now show just the Version number and have limited this view to using a global properties value in the Habitat database called "Windows10OSChartLimit". By default it is set to 30 but you can change this as desired to control the view of this chart.

The same limiting was done for Windows Server chart. The properties value is "WindowsServerOSChartLimit" and defaaults to 15. You can modify this value to your needs.

We also changed the angle of the legend to allow more readability from the data.

This is now in Habitat 1.0.0.77 due out today in the automated updates.

JvdMaat

Post by JvdMaat »

Here's the full view with Servers as you asked about:
2021-07-09 11_04_53-Window.png
2021-07-09 11_04_53-Window.png (29.86 KiB) Viewed 9145 times
Looks like they are sorted, so the 200 bar on the left is 19043/21H1.
Maximizing the window to full screen does not add more chart labels (just makes the bars really really big). And the scaling is kind of weird. The bottom half (Servers, and non-Win10 boxes) stays the same size (the Server OS bar gets stretched wide, but not up, the four squares stay the exact same size (number of pixels))

We have a bunch (+- 80) of Windows 7, but the box is saying 0. So not sure what the detection method there is, but it's not working for us. (The one Win8 is correct).
We also have a dozen Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard x64 (6.1.7601 Service Pack 1) (So that technically counts as Win7 maybe?)

If you want a thorough critique, here's some other observations:
The 0 and 14 on the X axis are not relevant. Not sure if those can be hidden.
The unlabeled columns are unidentifiable. If we can have a mouseover tooltip with the version that would be great, or more X-axis labels. The way I identify them now is to click on the graph to get to the table data, then sort on the OS version and scroll till I find what's there.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

I will look in to the scaling issues.

Not sure why your view is not showing versions for each bar. It skips over every other one. (interesting)

Also the 0-14 does not show on my chart image just yours... also interesting

I'll look at the windows 7 counter. Here is how we query that data currently. Can you post a sample of the data the query returns? It maybe that there is "2" spaces between Windows and 7. Try changing query to '%Windows%7%' and see if new results show.

Code: Select all

SELECT count(ComputerID) as Agents from computers WHERE OS LIKE '%Windows 7%'

JvdMaat

Post by JvdMaat »

I'm assuming you did something on your end, as it's now showing us 77 Win7 agents. So that's all set.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Updated it to '%Windows%7%'

Really not liking that though as it lends it's self to error if say Windows Server 2007 is an OS installed on an agent then this query will pick that up. So expect we will tighten that up some more in the next release.

Return to “Habitat Documentation Forum”