3rd Party Application Management

Support forums for the Habitat Automate plugin
Cubert

Re: 3rd Party Application Management

Post by Cubert »

Yea, That's a bug,

It should enable and disable individually as well as a group. Looks like the enable is working but disable may have syntax issue causing it not to save and thus you never see it flip to disabled.

I'll look in to that.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Yeap, found it.

Look like it works fine here

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (64.23 KiB) Viewed 1776 times

But only enables here and not disables when selected.

Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (79.74 KiB) Viewed 1776 times

This is just a minor logic issue in the viewer, ill get corrected.

dbitters

Post by dbitters »

That's fantastic. Thank you.
Is there any way to make the Managed Applications Window use a percentage of the remaining width or height?
It would be helpful to see more of the Software name, or even possibly more rows if that's an option as well.
Either way, thank you for adding the software column. That's a big help in certain situations.
Habitat managed applications window.PNG
Habitat managed applications window.PNG (75.4 KiB) Viewed 1754 times

Martech

Post by Martech »

We've only had one Client work properly. None of the others seem to populate.

I've enabled Servers and Workstations, set the server as Caching Agent, rescanned agents, clicked Deploy Framework - but nothing gets populated.
2021-12-27 10_33_31-Closets By Design   (ClientID_ 33).png
2021-12-27 10_33_31-Closets By Design (ClientID_ 33).png (101.63 KiB) Viewed 1571 times

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Sorry for the delay, I have been doing a little clean up and testing here to see if we have any issues. I am also working on the remote agent issue where agent has no access to caching.

In build 1.0.1.15 I have added a new function called LoneWolf which identifies agents that are going to skip the caching process and instead attempt updates directly with Chocolatey. You will assign this status in the same way you assign a caching agent.

I am also taking this time to review the different functions on a clean database to see if we have any startup issues with new clients.

I did find that one of my caching agents was having an issue with completing Caching Updates. Kept getting stuck on last POSH call. When I changed caching agents to a new agent, the problem stopped and that agent was able to complete all caching downloads and copies as expected.

I believe that was a one off agent issue and not an issue with the scripting, but it does go to say you should never expect Automate "not" to toss in a few curve balls of it's own from time to time.

I do not expect to have 1.0.1.15 out until after the new year. Jan 5th is most likely the closes date of release. If there is some level of collection issues then we will have identified it and fixed it by then.

New Lone Agent function.
Set any agent as a lone agent will cause that agent to install direct from Chocolatey. Beware of possible limiting from Chocolatey if max connections are reached by location router addresses.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (25.36 KiB) Viewed 1530 times

dbitters

Post by dbitters »

To Martech,
Until the current column turns green, the applications aren't ready to update.
At the Labtech Location level on the general tab, the Drive "Share path", username and password need to be set.
The share must be writable by the Cache agent, and accessible by all systems for that site.

Once that is done, the framework will get deployed and the current column will turn green. Nothing will work until that column is green. Then the application update process will begin based on the selected schedule.

One of the pages in this chain goes into that in more detail, but on the documentation forum, you will find more items that are critical in the deployment which also contains the cache setup.
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=5891&sid=fc31d73f3 ... 1f6ca3701a
Last edited by dbitters on Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbitters

Post by dbitters »

Cubert,
The lone wolf sounds great and solves the issue of sites under 10 where there is no agent or cache share that can be deployed.
I believe I ran into the same issue as you where for two customers I can't get all the data to show up for the installed version column, or for it to actually launch the scripts to run the installs. I still see the issue on a few customers still where it would update some applications and leave others just completely blank or just not run the script at all and not populate the Installed Version field either.

As you said, I think those are issues with lab tech or with something mangling the database records for those particular customers because the other customers are just fine. If I look at the logs of the customers with issues, sure enough, the Habitat application script never tries to launch. If I press the button for "rescan agents", the script does run and shows up in the logs. But without pressing that button, that script never runs on those problem customers. Now if I check the dashboard for that customer, sure enough, the last update date changes to the current date which matches when the script runs. However, the Installed Version column still never populates.

I tried using the application database clear function for those two problem customers using the hidden control-click with the Habitat logo. It prompts with the popup to request a clear of the database for that customer, however, it has no effect, even after a week. So either that special function doesn't work yet, or it's confirmation that something is messed up with the database table for that customer.

While you're doing some troubleshooting, I thought those extra details on that problem may be critical in the troubleshooting process. Short of moving objects to another customer and doing a test to see if something from the customer record is causing the issue or if the computer objects themselves are, unless it is just something stuck in the database, I'm not sure what else to try without causing other issues unless there is some kind of additional check we can do for verification purposes. I'll also try a different caching agent as well since that is easier. Just brainstorming and I look forward to anything you find out as well. Much appreciated.

dbitters

Post by dbitters »

Cubert,
I hope you don't mind me saying so, but are you sure you don't want to call the "lone agent" a "standalone agent"? I know what you mean, but just thinking out loud here as to what might confuse others.

Also, pertaining to that "current" column that I referenced before, I wanted to offer a suggestion. I realize it means if the framework is current which is a great check by the way. However, since the deployment can't run without the framework or if it's not current, that is a fairly critical collum. When I originally saw it, I was also mistaken, and I originally thought it meant as a check to see if the applications are current. That was my mistake, but that might confuse new customers thinking the same. Just thinking out loud again on whether it may make more sense for "current" to just be called "framework", or "framework ready" or "framework current". That might cut down on questions.

Thinking out loud again here, yes I know that's a dangerous thing, but what do you think about another column beside "current" and "enable" that says "cache ready". When the script runs and if the cache is not accessible by the system, it would remain red until it is accessible by that system, and then it turns green for "cache ready" when that system can reach the cache. I think that would help out with troubleshooting on a larger scale. You could then have three columns, "Framework ready", "Cache ready", and "Enabled".

So those are just a few more thoughts if you think they have any merit.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Nice find on the flush bug. Some one set the button to Yes/No then preceded to wait for the "OK". Well just like there's no "I" in Team, there is also no OK answer in a yes or no question.

Next I agree on the standalone agent rename, done...

As for the current indicator. Actually that does not denote that framework is installed although it will never turn green unless the framework was installed. So so happens that framework install is the first of several tasks that take place before an agent starts reporting.

This green current status is based off the last update scan date, as long as that date is under 30 days the agent update checks should be "current". It does not mean that applications are all at the most reported level or that any given app has had updates. Only that the agent has had a version scan preformed successfully in the last 30 days. Why 30 days? Because that is the max time you can set Habitat to manage applications. Once a month is the slowest you can have the application servers run. Typically MSPs are daily or weekly so the green status should stay present but agent that show a red have been offline during any scan requests and after 30 days will show as red in the plugin if scans do not run. You can manually run scans and if successful will trigger a green status.

Lastly, I found that having quick access to the installed software list as reported to Automate in the plugin along with the Applications being managed makes it much easier to see if applications are matching up. So I have added a tab view for the split of managed applications to installed software for each agent.

The Managed Apps List
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (66.1 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

Installed Software list
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (54.01 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

And from the view here looks like the Standalone deployments and updates launched yesterday as expected, That's a go..

sbarron

Post by sbarron »

Hello, just getting setup using the 3rd Party Application Management and I am seeing an issue in my deployment where on all my agents (one client at this point) the Installed Version is the same as the Repo Version, even though when I check the new Installed Software tab (updated to 1.0.1.15) it shows an older version than the repo, as well as when I check the acutal application version on that machine. See the below screenshots.

habitat2.PNG
habitat2.PNG (26.46 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
habitat3.PNG
habitat3.PNG (26.45 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

Return to “Habitat”