Alerting even when CIM is disabled

This forum supports the ESX Host Health Monitor plugin. When posting post screenshots of issues and any script and command logs listed in the probe consoles.
JamesRood

Alerting even when CIM is disabled

Post by JamesRood »

So we have "Memory" returning false positive data on two hosts, so I went into the CIM data field and Disabled that specific one but it still logs tickets every time.

I've attached a screenshot of it being disabled and it still showing critical in the main view, all of the other options are green.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (82.99 KiB) Viewed 7810 times

Cubert

Re: Alerting even when CIM is disabled

Post by Cubert »

Can you verify that probe is requesting data for HP style systems. Then we need to look at the code that is returned and verify that code = "Non-recoverable error" if that code number should not = that status code then changing the code for HP in the plugin database to "OK" will resolve the error.

If the code is accurate can you send us you plugin build number?

JamesRood

Post by JamesRood »

Yep both are set to HP. I'm not sure what you're referring to in regards to the code that is returned.

The plugin build number is 4.0.0.63

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

When you set up probe to scan host, did you set probe to scan as a HP, Dell, Intel or other ?

JamesRood

Post by JamesRood »

It is setup as HP

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

JamesRood wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:01 pm It is setup as HP
Perfect, that's one less issue. HP verses basically everyone else has different status codes for error conditions so you need to be using the correct mappings.

Which you are.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

In your image, the first screen has a red X on it. If you hover you mouse over it it will provide the full status line for the ESX host. Can you post that information here?

This main status is set directly from a CIM status request so the ESX host believes its in error as it is reporting back "Error". After this first request we request CIM data for hardware. (ESX Host status / Hardware Status)

So we are trying to disable the current status, the CIM data segment has already been suppressed?

In our current logic we assumed enable / disable in CIM data allows you to control false CIM data alarms with objects that maybe missing or errors in statuses that would not cause the HOST to error.

I can look at what it would need to disable the main status but we would want to make sure to manage those statuses being disabled so if the status message changed for a given host a new alarm would be generated. Otherwise you would just stop getting alarms for a Host and that could be a bad thing. I how ever could see a need for a master disable on host alarms as another option from status disabling.

I will need to toy with this a little bit...

robbie

Post by robbie »

We're having the same issue also. In the customer view the server goes back green for the status when disabling the CIM we don't need/want but in the main view, it still shows as an error.

JamesRood

Post by JamesRood »

Here's screenshots of everything I think will help

The fact both hosts are returning the same error, it's got to be a BIOS bug or something in VMware, because vCenter shows no errors yet when you query directly it does. If there's anything you want me to do further let me know, I can have SSH access directly to the hosts if you need me to
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (37.65 KiB) Viewed 7357 times
errors.PNG
errors.PNG (69.32 KiB) Viewed 7357 times

robbie

Post by robbie »

Any news on this? Keen to get this sorted as it will make monitoring servers much easier!

Return to “VMWare ESX Host Health Monitor”