Information Not Updating... Heeeelp!

Windows Backup manager allows you to manage backups across Labtech quickly and without the expensive software
Richard373

Information Not Updating... Heeeelp!

Post by Richard373 »

Hello.

3rd morning in a row and I'm not seeing up to date information in the plugin.

I have 64 machines currently using the plugin and close to 30 of them do not appear to be up to date. 5 machines are showing no last backup time even though the schedule is running and has been for days, so they've never dated. Most of the rest are at least 2 days out of date but again when I check them the majority of them are running fine.

I've picked a few servers and went through the troubleshooting in your video, from the best I can tell the commands don't seem to be running as they should (or are not running very often!) and on the few servers I checked there is no folder for the plugin under the ltsvc folder as their should be.

Not sure what else to try, but with half my screen showing red arrows I'm then having to go manually check them all anyway meaning i'm not really saving any time nor getting a clear picture of the backups.

LT outside of this is running very well, and all the machines in question are checking in to Labtech and updating other parts of the system with no issues.

I'm also finding a number of servers (seems to be ones which backup to a NAS) have the schedule applied and showing as normal, but the backups are not running. There is no failure or anything to check, just the job never starts.

Richard

Richard373

Re: Information Not Updating... Heeeelp!

Post by Richard373 »

I'm not sure how... but I think I've mostly sorted the information not updating. Their are still a few servers where "last backup" is blank but the majority are now up to date.

The bigger problem I now seem to have is half of my servers are still red because on just about every server I check where WSB is running to a network location, the schedule is not running.

The schedule shows within the plugin, and if I open the WSB console on the server it shows the same thing but the backup did not run as scheduled. On several of them is still shows the next scheduled backup to be on the 7th April when we are now on the 8th. if I run a manual via the plugin it works well.

I'm wondering if it might be a confusion with the dates in some way as I'm in the UK. Though the server is set to have the region in the UK, and the WSB console on the server is showing the correct format to say that the backup is set to run on the 7th April. This is happening on about 15 or so servers so I'm sure it's not a local issue on the boxes.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

To help you get a better understanding of what is taking place on the back end let me explain so of the concepts.

The plugin interfaces with WSB so in the end the problems are usually with WSB when backus do not run. Once we set the schedule at the windows system it is up to that system's WSB to correctly start and complete backups. The plugin does not manage the schedule, I.E tells windows daily to run. So once the plugin sets the schedule then it is probing the system every few hours to see if it is reporting any new restore points or event logs.

That process is done through the process of sending down commands to "Poll" WBAdmin for latest backup data. If data is not updating then we need to see if the poll ran, if it didn't then we need to look at server log for poller to see if it fired off or not. If not then we need to determine why LT failed to launch process and if it has some commonality like every 4th probe never goes or what ever that may be.

Can you send me your logs for a few days of running so I can look over them to determine if a pattern is there?

Richard373

Post by Richard373 »

Cubert,

I've managed to work through a lot of the issues. The backups not starting was due to permissions with the user account, which is odd as it's the one those servers used previously, but a bit of an update to the GPO's and things are flowing.

As of now my only remaining problem is I have a small amount of servers not updating the information back to the plugin. Setting the schedule works fine, and the backups run as they should and complete fine, but the information is not coming back the way so I am still seeing Red.

I have watched through your video, but am still unable to find the cause. I am going to have another look tonight, see if I can work out what is going on. Some of the servers have just never updated at all and the others have updated in the past week but are not up to date today. Thankfully this is now only a few and the majority are doing as they should.

Richard

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Please keep me informed, I would check the command logs on the PCs that are missing data to see if we sent commands to execute and what was returned. Should look like this:
2.png
2.png (112.06 KiB) Viewed 25014 times

Please post what yours returns on systems with either no data or no logs.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Also note the time, the backup plugin runs on the 1/2 hour every hour. Odd cycles grabs backup data, Even cycles grabs event logs.

so you should see it running a command every hour or so

Richard373

Post by Richard373 »

Thanks Cubert.

I think it's safe to say my system is not updating every 2 hours, this morning all servers were showing out of date information, about 3 or so hours later it caught up, and it has not updated again since with a few backups I fixed.

Typically it seems to update only once or twice a day, but as it's usually in the mornings I can still get a good picture of the state of the backups.

I've looked on a few of the machines who even after the system did update earlier are still not showing correctly and I Can't see any sign that the command has run, I'm not sure where to look beyond that.

Richard

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

email me your log files for the day from LT server c:\windows\ltsvc\Patchremedy\Patchremedy-dateoflog.txt

Also send me the ID of a system that you know did not run any commands that day (day of log). Let me see if I can see in log that it either saw or did not see server available to launch script against. I'll then be able to determine what should change in plugin to better manage this.

Richard373

Post by Richard373 »

Cubert,

I've looked in the folder and there are only 3 update files, with dates that are not correct. Looking at the modified date on the files though no logs have been created for the past week.

The files I have are:

PatchRemedy_Update_Log_2016-00-07.txt
PatchRemedy_Update_Log_2016-00-06.txt
PatchRemedy_Log_2016-00-06.txt

The most recent one seems to be from the 7th April.

Richard

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Richard,

I am making some adjustments to the back end service to give you a bit more control. Give me a few days to test it out and I will get an update out to you.

Return to “Backup Windows Plugin for LabTech”