WUA Update Issues & General Questions

Support and question forum for Patch Remedy 4 WUA plugin for LabTech. This plugin was retired on 06/01/2022. All new Patch Remedy 5 is now the current plugin. This forum is for retaining the old posts for Patch Remedy 4.
heroictech

WUA Update Issues & General Questions

Post by heroictech »

Our trial recently ended for Patch Remedy and we had some questions regarding the plugin.

We tested on our own client, turned all the settings to auto and PR came back with a good number of machines with WUA out of date. We tried pushing WUA updates, but none of the machines seemed to update to the latest version. We tried both standard and aggressive repair, but the WUA agent wouldn't update to the latest version for the majority of agents.

1. Are there any configurations you're aware of that may have caused the PR plugin not to update WUA in our environment? If the issue was just a couple machines it'd think it was those machines, but appears to be all PCs.

2. When using PR do patches still only install during the patching windows in ignite, or will it patch outside of those windows in an effort to catch a machine up?

We love the idea of Patch Remedy, but want to make sure it will work for us before committing to the full 1 year term.

Thanks!
-Nick

Cubert

Re: WUA Update Issues & General Questions

Post by Cubert »

What your problem is,

Patch Remedy does not reboot systems... You must manually reboot systems, then allow Patch remedy to rescan them before data in tables change.

It would really suck to have 400 or 500 systems rebooting in the middle of the day without any warnings to end users so we send the /noreboot switch to the MSIexec command.

heroictech

Post by heroictech »

Cubert,

Thanks for the reply.

I should have mentioned that we rebooted the machines after each attempt, and had the rescans scehduled for every 2 hours, to ensure we'd quickly find out if the WUA updates were completed. This didn't seem to have changed the results. Any other ideas on what we may have missed?

As the plugin requires a 1 year committment, we just want to make sure it works as intended before we signup. Not sure if it's possible, but if we could get another 7-day trial that would be greatly appreciated. We absolutely love the idea of what this does, and just need to confirm that it'll work in our environment before moving forward.

Thanks again.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

The plugin fires off a script on each PC that it tries to repair. You can follow the actions of the script on the computer console for both the version scanner and the updater. The Scripts tab and Commands tab will hold the results of what is taking place at the computer level. If the systems are not updating (note we do not update XP or 2003) then the errors should show up here as to why. For a test on a failing system I would manually try install and see if it fails.

Cubert.

heroictech

Post by heroictech »

I think I've narrowed down the issue and have a few more questions.

The problem I was coming across was the Current WUA Max Versions showed Windows 7 Pro most current version as 7.6.7601.19116 (February 2016). However, when I'd try an update of WUA it wouldn't update and appeared stuck at version 7.6.7601.19077 (December 2015).

I reviewed the Patch Remedy Maintenance Script and found that it specifically listed https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3112343 (WUA for December 2015) as the version to be used for updating Windows 7. So it would appear as far as the script is concerned I'm on the latest version.

Questions:

1. What is the frequency that you update the script to download/use the latest WUA client?

2. Is there a delay after release before the script is updated to account for any possible issues with the client, like the CPU/Memory issue with the November 2015 release?

3. What action if any, is required on our end to ensure we have the updated script with refers to the latest version of WUA?

4. Does Patch Remedy attempt to patch systems after patching issues have been fixed, or will patching fall withing the normal LabTech patching windows?

Thanks!

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

We have released build 1.0.2.66 that now includes this update.

Visit : http://patchremedy.pluginsforlabtech.com/support.php

:ugeek:

We do not update our scripts on day 1 of a new update just for that reason (Odd behaviors). so normally it is with in 30 days of the release. We also do not "patch" anything.. That is LabTechs job.. we just report back on what we see as far as patching goes.

We also do not reboot systems after WUA updates.. so you need to be aware of the updates and put in place a means to verify a reboot has happened.

We are looking to add this as a flag you can set to force reboot after update but it will be the next release before it is ready.

bbowman

Post by bbowman »

It appears the plugin automatically updated when 1.0.66 was released. When trying to run it, I receive the following error:

"We hit a WUA error Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I reloaded DB plugins and relaunched the LT Control Center. The same issue occurs.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

bbowman wrote:It appears the plugin automatically updated when 1.0.66 was released. When trying to run it, I receive the following error:

"We hit a WUA error Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I reloaded DB plugins and relaunched the LT Control Center. The same issue occurs.

Really, Ok drop your database tables for plugin, restart the dbagent and retry. Also make sure the Patch Remedy script gets updated to new version as well.

Return to “Patch Remedy for LabTech (Patch Remedy 4) Retired”