Habitat 3dr party application manager with alternative repository

Support forums for the Habitat Automate plugin
mwilhelmi

Habitat 3dr party application manager with alternative repository

Post by mwilhelmi »

Hello P4A,

I did not find any information on how to use a repository other than the community repository as a source for Habitats 3rd party application manager.
This would be essential for us since we have to manage a lot of software packages for our clients that are not (and will not be) available in the community repository.
Is there a way to add a repository as a source?

Cubert

Re: Habitat 3dr party application manager with alternative repository

Post by Cubert »

In Chocolatey you can set a default source location as a configuration of each Chocolatey install (agent). Our plugin does not manage default source settings but you can create an Automate script to add your repository as the default. Then any package name passed would first resolve to your repository for availability.

https://docs.chocolatey.org/en-us/choco ... ds/sources

mwilhelmi

Post by mwilhelmi »

Hello Cubert,

in theory this could work.
But as documented here https://github.com/chocolatey/choco/issues/1541 Priorities are ignored by Chocolatey since 2018.
As a Workaround we could fake fake the version numbers in our own repository to be higher than the ones found in the community repository. This will most likely end in some confusion when using this but could do it for us.

Anyway while testing this I could not find an option to set some kind of default software for a cleint that will be installed on each computer. I took it for granted there would be an option like in C4L to set approval lists per client.
When searching the documentationI did not find a feature like this in App Genie, C4A or Habitat.
Am I missing it in plain view?

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Screenshot 2023-04-04 150120.png
Screenshot 2023-04-04 150120.png (130.64 KiB) Viewed 2013 times

Its In C4A, Under the main tools menu, Global application policy, If enabled should be pushed down to agents.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

I am also involved in another Chocolatey MSP product outside of Plugins4. I would like to know more about your needs as we are working with sources as part of our caching services in the model we develop now. I would like to see if there could be some minor alterations made to our model to accommodate you.

This new product may also service your needs. It's in a rolling beta currently. If you would be interested in toying with that we could see what we need to do to allow you to set sources for packages.

Feel free to reach to me sanderson@rmmmax.com for more details.

Return to “Habitat”