Win 10 to Win 11 failed OS Upgrade

Patch Remedy 5 is the next generation of the Plugins4Automate Patch Remedy family of products.
This forum is used to support Patch Remedy 5 only, if your using a previous version of Patch Remedy please see the forum for that version below.
Inside you will find the documentation project for the plugin were you can get insights on how to operate and use Patch Remedy 5.
mikey090tx

Win 10 to Win 11 failed OS Upgrade

Post by mikey090tx »

Hello-

We are testing the OS upgrade function on a device that is Windows 11 Ready and compatible that is running Win 10 (64 bit). I ran the OS upgrade manually and unchecked the (PR) OS Upgrades checkbox from patch remedy. In the first test, there was a failed message in the script where it could not read the Windows11Upgrade.log file. We ran this again and the failed message continue to be present. I reviewed the device and the temp file path is accessible and we can run scripts or actions to create files in that directory with no issues. I created the file manually to see if the script would failure would continue to be returned and this was not, the ps1 script ran and created the folder for the executable but the subfolder and the executable where not downloaded.

Wondering if I could get some assistance of where to check and what settings may need modified so we can test this further. The log file was not created and therefore there is no logged history to be shared.

Cubert

Re: Win 10 to Win 11 failed OS Upgrade

Post by Cubert »

Sure,

Let me have a look at what's going on, I have to see if I can rustle up a WIn 10 VM to test on. It's quite possible that the download links have been replaced with some other link or files no longer available. It should be downloading from Microsoft but they may have changed something.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Build 1.0.5.17 is due out later this week and should address this issue. We have updated the PowerShell function to improve delivery of Windows 11 upgrades.

Monitor the main Patch Remedy forum for announcements.

matthewa

Post by matthewa »

Cubert wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:15 pm Build 1.0.5.17 is due out later this week and should address this issue. We have updated the PowerShell function to improve delivery of Windows 11 upgrades.

Monitor the main Patch Remedy forum for announcements.
We are on Build 1.0.5.18 and are having issues also with upgrading a suitable Windows 10 64 Bit to Windows 11. It downloads the executable fine and the log file shows installing and in Task Manager the process is running but nothing else. It never finishes, and the process shows no real activity. Any thoughts as to why this may be? Thanks.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Sounds like your system is getting stuck on the EULA which means its not taking the /accept switch as part of the command being sent to agent. You can review this script and its functions by reviewing the Chocolatey for Automate script in the maintenance script folder.

I believe the script looks for online users and tries to run installer script on a desktop terminal as that user in case a EULA is triggered. But if no user is logged in this can not happen and so I believe EULA is stuck in a non user terminal and can not have its EULA checked as Accepted.

matthewa

Post by matthewa »

Thanks for the insight, i believe i have it working now on my test subject.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Consistent Windows 11 upgrades have been a challenge...

Return to “Patch Remedy 5”