Installed version not correct and choco -update not valid

Support forums for the Habitat Automate plugin
sashdown

Installed version not correct and choco -update not valid

Post by sashdown »

Hi Cubert.

Thanks for your ongoing help with this, we are unfortunatley still having real issues making the application manager work as we had hoped.

Firstly the use of Choco --update in use on line 57 and 168 is not a valid command function. The correct replacement from what i can tell would be --upgrade with the flag in use to skip if the package is not installed.

As such i have modified these two lines to use @CHOCOEXE@ upgrade -fy --failonnotinstalled. This seems to be progressing further but is not updating any applications
installedversion.png
installedversion.png (37.87 KiB) Viewed 1146 times

2nd and possibly a contribution factor to the former. The installed version reported in the application manager is not matching either the actual installed version, or the version reported in the software listing for that machine.
installedversion.png
installedversion.png (37.87 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
This attachment shows that chrome is installed at version 116.0.5845.141, however both on the machine and in the table provided by automate itself, the application google chrome on this machine is returning 117.0.5938.150.

Further, as you can see in the attachment, a number of software is listed as -9999 rather than the name of the application? I am unable to work out where this originates.

I am overall happy and impressed with the features of habitat thus far but this slew of issues with application manager is a bit disappointing, it was the main component on which we had counted on for getting our 3rd party packages into compliance for rapidly approaching compliance frameworks. Any help getting the case cracked would be hugely appreciated!

Kindest
Sam
Attachments
Updating.png
Updating.png (68.86 KiB) Viewed 1146 times

Cubert

Re: Installed version not correct and choco -update not valid

Post by Cubert »

No problem, let me have a peek at that. I'll get back to you later today.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

I corrected a few minor issues including the typo of update to upgrade.

Here is build 1.0.1.41, Make sure it updated correctly in you Control Center. The App management script should now be on version 1.0.1.41 as well.

https://delivery.shopifyapps.com/-/c05e ... 9e8126f4f0

I took a unconfigure client and with a few clicks was able to go from blank apps views to present view(image below)

Screenshot 2023-10-09 122823.png
Screenshot 2023-10-09 122823.png (69.78 KiB) Viewed 1127 times

Steps I took:
  1. Enabled workstations under client view
  • Approved a handful of applications in the clients approved apps list
  • Set test agent as Stand Alone
  • Ran "Update Now" which is same command automation will run.
I then monitored for testing reasons, the script log and command log for that agent to verify that script launched and completed. Once completed I refreshed my Client console and the agent now has data.

This was just a basic run and did not take into effect any caching or other processes. I did make a few changes in the view, got rid of the "-9999" in software column, that represented software not in list (yet).

Also adjusted Managed Apps button, it was not aligning as expected.

See if this update helps any..

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

I post this as a side note just for information.

Over the last month we have been rewriting a lot of Chocolatey For Automate to address several issues with how automation is delt with. Since Habitat Application manager is based off of Chocolatey for Automate 3.5, it also has some of these challenges. Automate is hard coded into the backend of Automate and follows a rigid schedule. When a user wants to integrate a report with the basics of data like last scan date or last update, it requires some SQL-foo to acquire that data.

With the start of Chocolatey For Automate 3.6 we have changed direction and hove moved a lot of the backend automation over to Automate Group Management. We also placed key flags and dates into EDFs to allow both the user and Automate Groups the ability to use these data points. Users are encouraged to explore the Automate Groups and make adjustment as their environment dictates. This change in process has greatly improved the overall performance of our Automate Environment.

https://www.plugins4automate.com/blogs/ ... tomate-3-6

The answer you seek is, Yes. Yes, we do plan to update Habitat to take advantage of the new developments in Chocolatey For Automate, but it will most likely not happen until we hit Build 3.6.0.10. Typically by this time we have cleaned out all the little buggy things.

Here in the updated plugin page
https://www.plugins4automate.com/collec ... ted-agents

Here is the latest document forum for Build 3.6
viewforum.php?f=96

That should give you enough information about the updates in 3.6

Return to “Habitat”