Clarification on the “Enable Client Applications" feature

Support forums for the Habitat Automate plugin
dbitters

Clarification on the “Enable Client Applications" feature

Post by dbitters »

Can you clarify the “Enable Client Applications” feature/function regarding the following points?

I’m troubleshooting why applications have stopped updating over the last several months. I want to verify the expected function of the new features before verifying all other prerequisites and problems during our hosted Labtech server migration.

We have about a hundred applications listed in the Habitat Global Application List to capture every possible application that any of our customers may have.
On an individual customer, we use the “Enable Client Applications” to specify and enable only the applications we want to be deployed to all agents for that customer.
We still need to ensure that if any agent runs any of the hundred applications, that those applications are still updated but not deployed unless we enable that in “Enable Client Applications.”
We don’t want every application installed on every agent, as that would be a nightmare.
I want to ensure that all applications can still be updated when detected, the same as before.
I want to confirm that only the applications enabled in “Enable Client Applications” would be newly installed and don’t limit what applications are being updated.

I’m assuming what I mentioned is the expected function of the new features, but I couldn’t find those specifics in the existing documentation, and I wanted to get clarification on that before making an assumption.
I don’t want to be limited to only updating applications that are globally installed everywhere, such as Firefox and Chrome.
Can you confirm this? That would be great. Thanks for the assistance.

Cubert

Re: Clarification on the “Enable Client Applications" feature

Post by Cubert »

You have described to correct operation of the plugin.

The master list helps supply all the available versioning for any application that is currently deployed or may want to be deployed.

From this master list each client gets to select a list of their own that should be installed during the normal course of the plugin. The update side of things captures the current list of installed packages and updates them when scheduled.

dbitters

Re: Clarification on the “Enable Client Applications" feature

Post by dbitters »

Thanks for the clarification.
However, ever since the "Enable client applications" feature was added, our "Managed Applications" went blank on all our customers, and the "current" column went red for all agents on all customers.
More recently, however, on the "App manager main console," The "repo version" collum now shows "Choco version unknown" for all applications.
Is there something going on with the Habitat version that could have possibly broken all of this?
Our plugin version shows 1.0.1.42.
If I do a "Rescan repo versions", and a "Update cache repos", then some of the applications in the "App manager main console" will display some versions.
Thanks for the help.

Return to “Habitat”