3rd party app manager for departments

Support forums for the Habitat Automate plugin
mwilhelmi

3rd party app manager for departments

Post by mwilhelmi »

Hello Cupert,

we are looking to intensify our usage of p4as Chocolatey integrations. We used C4L in the past but will problably switch to Habitat since C4L is EOL and the other Choco-Plugins dont have as many functions available.

We could not find any way to manages applications based on the department the computer is used in. We would like to be able to assign applications to a group. The management on client or agent level requires very much micro managing in large environments.
For example if the accounting needs an other toolset than the product designers do. Our larger clients have way more departments with differnt software sets each and with a few dozents users each. That's where we see a huge potential to safe time, be it from manually installting software or even managing each agent on agent level.
Just adding the agent to a group and know Habitat (or another Plugin) will handle everything, would be a great help.

Are we missing a feature or a menu or is there anything like this to be added?

Cubert

Re: 3rd party app manager for departments

Post by Cubert »

That's a really good idea!

I would have to think about that some.

I believe it would be to big of a change to try an add that into the current Application management inside Habitat but... I could see a new tool that is a Application Group Management tool.

This tool would need:

1) Application approval list that can be tied to one or more groupID's
2) A schedule editor to tell Automate when to manage updates
3) Automation that runs at least daily to see if any new agents are added to group that need software installs
4) Automation that updates packages on the schedules saved by editor.
5) An Automated scanner to collect data from agents (apps installed, app versions)
6) Plugin interface to visualize the data.
7) Automation script to support functions of plugin. (install packages, update packages, test for chocolatey, install chocolatey, version applications, version chocolatey, etc)

Then we still have the issues of Chocolatey throttling and repo restrictions to overcome. I could see if I could somehow add it into the current tool as an alternative configuration but will still need a lot of the list above to make it functional. So it may not save any time or work.

I will need to ponder this some.

Return to “Habitat”