Unsure what is going wrong

Support and question forum for Patch Remedy 4 WUA plugin for LabTech. This plugin was retired on 06/01/2022. All new Patch Remedy 5 is now the current plugin. This forum is for retaining the old posts for Patch Remedy 4.
pheinz

Unsure what is going wrong

Post by pheinz »

Hi All,

Hoping to run this scenario by the forum to see what I'm doing wrong. I followed the setup instructions here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5462 and am attempting to update one PC in a workgroup from 16299 to 17134. I have the network path and file names specified, and the ISOs are contained therein. The script seems to run properly through the upgrade check, and beginning the upgrade, and I'll get the two popups on the destination machine. Then, nothing happens for hours. Every so often I'll get an error in the log that setup.exe couldn't be used or something to that effect. I don't have the error message anymore. It looks like the folders in c:\windows\ltsvc\patchremedy are being created, but nothing is ever copied to there, or created in there. The ISO runs properly from the network location on the destination machine, so I'm not sure where the problem lies. I can provide any logs that are necessary, or answer any follow up questions. Thanks in advance!

Edited to add:
Patch Remedy version 10.0.4.34
Automate version 12.0.404

Cubert

Re: Unsure what is going wrong

Post by Cubert »

Please post the last log the agent recorded as a status from the plugin side.

Here are the basic steps the plugin is doing as part of the upgrade process.

1) Test agent for Pro or Enterprise OS
2) Test via agent for ISO on network share
3) Based on test 2, download ISO to network share
4) Mount ISO on Network Share as a drive
5) Copy all files locally to agent drive
6) Test for Setup.exe locally
7) Run Setup.exe
8) Wait 3 hours and retest agents current version number
9) log success if version number = new version else log failed.

So if agent gets to the run setup.exe then we have done everything we can to deliver the upgrade. It is now up to the agent to complete the upgrade.

Things we would test for..

#1 did ISO show up on network share?
#2 is ISO mountable?
#3 did ISO files copy to agent (completely) file counts and sizes all match
#4 If you execute the setup manually does it complain about anything? Wrong ISO version for OS type is most typical.
# the moving of the ISO and the permissions needed to read and and write files tend to be the biggest issues. Make sure to allow the agent service running the LT agent can access network share.

pheinz

Post by pheinz »

Thanks for the reply!

I ran the update Friday before I left, and it stopped 6 hours later with the message "Stopping Script. The Setup.exe file was not available for execution. The downloads or network cache file maybe currupt."

I'm not sure which log you're asking for, where would it be located? I'm happy to post whatever you need, I want to be sure I'm posting the right thing though.

#1 did ISO show up on network share? - I can navigate to the network share from the destination machine and view the ISO

#2 is ISO mountable? - I can mount the ISO from the network share on the destination machine

#3 did ISO files copy to agent (completely) file counts and sizes all match - The files do NOT get copied from the network share to the destination machine

#4 If you execute the setup manually does it complain about anything? Wrong ISO version for OS type is most typical. - I can run the setup.exe from the ISO from the network location on the destination machine with no issues.

#5 the moving of the ISO and the permissions needed to read and and write files tend to be the biggest issues. Make sure to allow the agent service running the LT agent can access network share. - I have the network share folder as wide open as I can make it with the information I have. It is accessible by: Everyone, Guest, Administrators, and ANONYMOUS LOGON.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

If you look at the Patch Remedy Maintenance script, it shows that we indeed copy the contents of the ISO locally, We can also be set to copy the ISO locally and then copy it out of ISO to local drive. We never run setup from remote share as to many issues could cause a failure during updates.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (37.96 KiB) Viewed 13173 times

pheinz

Post by pheinz »

Thanks for that. I am able to robocopy the ISO from the destination machine, accessing the network share. One of the things I tried was copying the ISO to the destination machine before starting the update, but the script deleted and recreated the destination folder.

Is there a user I need to add to the permissions of the network share folder, and if so, which user?

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

The user "System" is most likely the service account running the LT agent.

pheinz

Post by pheinz »

I added the SYSTEM user to the permissions of the network folder and am still running into the same availability error "Stopping Script. The Setup.exe file was not available for execution. The downloads or network cache file maybe currupt.". I am able to access the file from other computers. This error is what I get when I don't get "The Windows 10 ISO failed to download to the network share", which also confuses me as the file is available in the network location.

I've tried rebuilding the ISO, and recreating the folder path. I feel like i'm close to getting this aligned properly, but I don't know what I am missing? I can post any logs that would help, if you can tell me which ones you'd like to see.

pheinz

Post by pheinz »

I tried to run the update on a computer that is part of a domain, with the ISO in a wide-open network location. The script will copy the ISO and throw up the updating splash screen, but it looks like nothing ever gets launched. I disabled UAC and restarted, to no change. Any help would be appreciated.

jmaxwell

Post by jmaxwell »

Same things seem to be happening to us. We were having issues with not downloading to network share with access denied or connection interrupted message. However, once we got past the access denied issue, the iso started to transfer over to the network share. But it got timed out or connection interrupted message in the console command section.We are using the URL process. However, since it was a test machine in our network, I just copied the iso to the network share so I can proceed with the process. On two of our machines we attempted the upgrade now option. It goes all smoothly up until the script says 'Windows 10 Updates are now processing on the PC, allow 2 to 4 hours to complete. User may need to log into system to fully complete the updates.” However, I was monitoring the machines. There was not indication that the setup ran besides the task manager showing Windows Installer in the processes. I know in Event Viewer under System, it will show if windows updates are being downloaded or installed. I also had Windows Updates screen open so I can monitor and it had no change. Does the PR setup and script do the upgrade independently or silently that would coincide with this?
After the script 'wakes up' the next script states, "the script stopped upgrade appears to have failed".
Attached are the scripts and the console commands related to scripts at this point where it failed.
prupgradecommanderror3.PNG
prupgradecommanderror3.PNG (11.45 KiB) Viewed 13108 times
prupgradecommanderror.PNG
prupgradecommanderror.PNG (18.92 KiB) Viewed 13108 times
prupgradecommanderror4.PNG
prupgradecommanderror4.PNG (59.64 KiB) Viewed 13108 times
We are on automate 12 patch 8 PR 1.0.4.34

Please advise.

Let Me know what other information I can provide.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Moving and coping files around the network is all about permissions and making those permissions work in all types of environments. We note in our docs that a usb drive or simple network share seems to work best with agent permissions.

As for the update process:

We download and extract files and then send a command to launch the setup.exe.

So testing should include:

1, Did the files copy to the locations needed?
2, did all files get copied?
3, did setup.exe get found and executed?

So the last thing we do before sleeping is execute the setup. Find that command in the script logs and see what its "return" was. If it was a "OK" then the agent executed the setup and received what it should of.

Else you may have some error there.

If it fails to install then copy that command that was run and go to agent, open up command window and rerun command and see what agent does.

The setup command is just a short launcher for another internal app that does the system prep and updates. Looking for the setup program after a minute or two will not show up. look for some update app to be running that is consuming alot of cpu time.

Return to “Patch Remedy for LabTech (Patch Remedy 4) Retired”