Bitlocker Scripts are killing Automate

This forum is used to support the BitLocker for Automate plugin. You will find documentation on the plugin as well as an area to post issues and requests. Please post
sean.friesen

Bitlocker Scripts are killing Automate

Post by sean.friesen »

Hi All,

The plug in for Bitlocker is running 4 times per day per workstation. We have 1200 end points so that equates to 4800 scripts per day running in Automate. That is over half the scripts that we have running. Can this be adjusted somehow? We had an issue in Automate caused by this so Connectwise has suggested we reach out for a resolution to this.

Sean

Cubert

Re: Bitlocker Scripts are killing Automate

Post by Cubert »

Sorry for the long response, I took a look at the plugin and added in a new feature to set scans at once a day for you from the default 4 times a day.

Here is the new plugin download, You will need to update current plugin and restart DBagent to take effect.

https://delivery.shopifyapps.com/-/e82c ... 513eaaf0db

Add property BitLocker Script Execution with value of True to set to once per day.

SetBitlockerScriptExecutionTime.png
SetBitlockerScriptExecutionTime.png (36.48 KiB) Viewed 1805 times

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

I am assuming that you are hosted by ConnectWise?

The reason I mention is that you should not be experiencing any real issues at the standard level with your Automate environment.

A good running and resource available Automate should be able to handle in excess of 250K script executions per day. 4800 script executions equates to 300 scripts per hour and should be just a short walk in a summers breeze for the Automate host. Our scripts only execute a single PowerShell script that captures volume data and returns it. Scripts take just a second or 2 to complete and are typically a one line execution on the agent it's self.

It is not uncommon for hosted Automate VMs to be slightly under powered as most MSP would still not exceed the resources and it saves CW hosting resources. I would suggest that if you feel that BitLocker plugin put a hold on your service that you might want to have a deeper look at host resource usage to see if there maybe other items that may also be causing a resource reduction. The BitLocker plugin is pretty light weight for the most part. Only real work is done when plugin is in actual use pushing new settings and encrypting drives. These actions are typically done once and are expected to draw resources during execution of tasks.

Something to consider..

Sorry for the delay.

amayhew

Post by amayhew »

im curious why the script is ran against each individual computer in a one time schedule each time
i could be wrong but it may be less intensive if ran on a group such as ALL AGENTS or even each client as i do on a reacurring script schedule
as it would be one entry that remains in scheduled scripts instead of 1000s of entries that keep getting readded and removed
and then i could modify it to my preference easily such as wake on lan
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (52.31 KiB) Viewed 1792 times

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Biggest reason is that Automate can be configured in many ways and at different levels which means that many operators (MSP) do not use searches and groups to define work. Our plugins need to be able to work in any "class" of MSP with the same functionality.

Tomato ~ Tamato...

amayhew

Post by amayhew »

we all are going to have clients you can target instead and set it using a reaccuring schedule

i have to agree to disagree on the

tomato tomoto
Last edited by amayhew on Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amayhew

Post by amayhew »

could i disable your script scheduler and just create my own schedule then?

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Sorry it took so long, had to get back into code to insert your request.

So yes, in build 1.0.0.16 you can set a property value that will stop the automated service.

Here is the DL link https://delivery.shopifyapps.com/-/dac5 ... 398b66bdee

Add to your properties config in Automate dashboard this new property

BitLocker NoScan and give it a value of 1.

This will stop the automation.

I would also restart the DBagent afterwards just to make sure that automate starts up seeing itself disabled.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Also just a side note,

Its fresh into beta so be forewarned that things may change in interface as beta progresses.

There's a new BitLocker in town and its not playing with Automate schedulers. Looking for a faster Bitlocker tool that produces significantly less load on your Automate host? Do you want to be able to use your tools from any device at any time?

Then we may have the toolbox for you.

The announcement has been placed on our blog and will go out in our newsletter on the 12th.

https://www.plugins4automate.com/blogs/ ... mm-plugins

Return to “BitLocker for Automate”