Framework not deploying with installs turned off.

Support and questions for using and managing Chocolatey NuGet inside of Labtech
brainstomp

Framework not deploying with installs turned off.

Post by brainstomp »

Okay,

so I bought the licenses.
I started to test.
I thought I had it sorted, so I bought more licenses.
Now I ran into a problem.

If I don't exclude the client machines from installs they get every single piece of software in the chocolatey plugin setting. Even if auto-install is turned off.

If I exclude the client machines from installs then the Chocolatey framework is never installed.

Code: Select all

Now installing Chocolatey framework.
Chocolatey Licenses 75 , Licenses Used 38
System ID 816 is set to be excluded. remove this setting before trying install again.
Deployment scheduling of the Chocolatey Framework is now complete.

So how do I deploy the chocolatey framework without it also installing every single application on the plugin software list?

Cubert

Re: Framework not deploying with installs turned off.

Post by Cubert »

That was done intentionally during the design phase when MSPs we queried said that if an agent is excluded they do not want Chocolatey or any other app to be deployed. So from a easy of use perspective this might make more work to configure in that manor.

To do it you will need to disable all apps listed under the agents console for Chocolatey then enable the agent for installs.

Complete the following in this order:
Agent Level: Disable all listed Apps in console
Client level: Enable agent for installs (and updates)
Client Level: Push out framework or allow automated install.

This will allow chocolatey to be installed but the apps enabled to be disabled.

brainstomp

Post by brainstomp »

Maybe I'm not explaining this correctly.
So here is a screen shot of one of systems in question.
See where things like Atom, CDBurnerXP, Chromium are excluded from AutoInstall? Well what is happening is that if I enable Chocolatey the software that is listed as excluded is being installed anyway. So I can't enable Chocolatey installs at all or every single one of my managed computers gets every single one of these excluded applications.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.14.28.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.14.28.png (838.77 KiB) Viewed 3722 times

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Can you verify via agent script logs that the excluded applications are being passed to the agent for installs. There should be a record of each application that was pushed down.

This would help us isolate where this is happening for you.

brainstomp

Post by brainstomp »

I built a system for testing this.
Here are the results so far.
Attachments
Chocolatey Main Screen showing stuff deployed to test system. Everything in red was initially setup as No Auto Install
Chocolatey Main Screen showing stuff deployed to test system. Everything in red was initially setup as No Auto Install
Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 10.48.52.png (194.57 KiB) Viewed 3556 times
Test system Chocolatey plugin screen. See how there are applications installed that are not part of the auto install.
Test system Chocolatey plugin screen. See how there are applications installed that are not part of the auto install.
Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 11.11.26.png (293.81 KiB) Viewed 3556 times
JRE8 is clearly excluded here even if Java8 is included. I know I setup all the Java stuff with no autoinstall. the KBs are also missing in this view even though they show installed in the other screen shot and they are not set to autoinstall either.
JRE8 is clearly excluded here even if Java8 is included. I know I setup all the Java stuff with no autoinstall. the KBs are also missing in this view even though they show installed in the other screen shot and they are not set to autoinstall either.
Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 11.12.42.png (270.33 KiB) Viewed 3556 times

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Brianstomp,

That was a big help! That put me right at the base of the problem, found the issue and resolved it in 2.0.1.103

We posted 2.0.1.103 up to the main site, set auto updater to push the new build starting tonight and if you want it just a bit quicker then the URL is

https://delivery.shopifyapps.com/-/39d4 ... d8b1c52f10

Let us know if you see any other odd behavior.

Return to “Chocolatey For Labtech”