Habitat Printer Status Tool

Detailed descriptions and imagery explaining each tool available inside Habitat. Feel free to post feature requests under each tools forum post if you would like to see something added or changed in the tools.
Cubert

Habitat Printer Status Tool

Post by Cubert »

New in Habitat is the improved Printer Status tool. This tool allow you to manage printers in an easy to use format. See the status of all the printers across your environment with ease.

Here is a video review of Printer Status Here

Printer Status Global Viewer sees all printers across all clients at one time.
PrinterStatus-Global.PNG
PrinterStatus-Global.PNG (90.39 KiB) Viewed 28638 times
There are many controls available by selecting a printer from the list and right clicking it for menu options.

Printer Status Client Viewer see all printers client by client
PrinterStatus-Client.PNG
PrinterStatus-Client.PNG (72.34 KiB) Viewed 28638 times

You can exclude printers you do not want to see by using the exclude button at either the Global or Client Views.

JvdMaat

Re: Habitat Printer Status Tool

Post by JvdMaat »

For the Exclusion list, is there a wildcard character? Neither * nor % work at this time.
If not, can you include that in a future release please?

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

The Exclude is a function that looks at each printers name and sees if a match to the work you place in exclude exists in printer name.

tankbob

Post by tankbob »

That doesn't seem to work I added Fax as one of my keywords and it still lists

Fax - HP PageWide 377dw MFP

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

If you add to the exclude list "Fax - HP PageWide 377dw MFP" does it exclude it?

Also Allow a new scan to run first before exclude happens. So if you exclude Fax run a rescan on agent and allow it to complete and see if the Fax is now gone?

Post back here your findings

tankbob

Post by tankbob »

If I add the full name then it removes it after I press refresh (I don't need to Rescan).

ReScan and refresh will not remove if the exclusion is fax.

I also need a solution that deals with Terminal Server Redirected printers. They all appear with (redirected <number>) in the name, but even with redirected in the exclusion list it doesn't ignore them.

Additionally it would be useful to have right click a printer and choose exclude to have it's name added to the exclusion list.

Could you maybe support the SQL like format so I could type Fax% to ignore all printers starting with Fax or %(redirected% to ignore all printers with (redirected in the name.

Ideally for me I'd like to enter a regex, but not all users are programmers and want to deal with that "black magic"

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

tankbob wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:39 pm If I add the full name then it removes it after I press refresh (I don't need to Rescan).

ReScan and refresh will not remove if the exclusion is fax.

I also need a solution that deals with Terminal Server Redirected printers. They all appear with (redirected <number>) in the name, but even with redirected in the exclusion list it doesn't ignore them.

Additionally it would be useful to have right click a printer and choose exclude to have it's name added to the exclusion list.

Could you maybe support the SQL like format so I could type Fax% to ignore all printers starting with Fax or %(redirected% to ignore all printers with (redirected in the name.

Ideally for me I'd like to enter a regex, but not all users are programmers and want to deal with that "black magic"
Sorry refresh was my intention on original post, Now we added when you add name to list it auto refreshes . There is a comparison that uses "contains" which we are using so "Fax" should capture "Fax" and "Fax Note One" so I will go revisit that to see where that may not work. Did you try case matching as well? IE Fax not fax?

I can add the right click to exclude, nice thought there!

If we continue to follow the "contains" framework the SQL wildcard will not be needed. Lets see what comes of our review.

ccalverley

Post by ccalverley »

Suggestion for an enhancement

Add an option on right click, to install the printer on a computer/ computers
ideally
when you right click on a shared printer
(can determine this with powershell Get-Printer command under the shared object)
you see an option to "install this printer"
when selected a box pops up with the printer name autopopulated in a textbox and a list box of all online location workstations which allows for multiselect.
the bottom of the box has two buttons one that says install and one that says cancel
install executes "RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /ga /z /n"\\computername\printername" on each computer selected.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

that seems doable, and thanks for the detailed description. If every request came this thought out.

Lets see what I can do with this.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Ok we now added in Habitat 1.0.0.59

Updated scanner to acquire all share names of shared printers

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (33.05 KiB) Viewed 8083 times

Anew menu to add shared printers

Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (16.97 KiB) Viewed 8083 times

Select 1 or more agents from list and push the shared printer out to them in real time.

Capture11.PNG
Capture11.PNG (14.36 KiB) Viewed 8083 times

Downloads now available and auto update should update tonight.

Return to “Habitat Documentation Forum”