Missed Patch Window Tab - "User logged in" reason statement

Support and question forum for Patch Remedy 4 WUA plugin for LabTech. This plugin was retired on 06/01/2022. All new Patch Remedy 5 is now the current plugin. This forum is for retaining the old posts for Patch Remedy 4.
skyscan

Missed Patch Window Tab - "User logged in" reason statement

Post by skyscan »

Under the missed patch window tab a vast majority of my agents are listed in here and the bulk of them are grumpy due to the a reason code of: "User logged in, could cause data loss or instability" with a timestamp of 12:00am

What does this mean?

Is this stating that PR couldn't update the WUA at this time due to the user being logged in? If that is the case, how can I "force it" to update agents at this time of 12:00am?

Cubert

Re: Missed Patch Window Tab - "User logged in" reason statement

Post by Cubert »

This means that PR skipped the install because a user was still logged in or station was logged in and locked. Either way this could cause data loss for the user if unsaved applications are open. In this condition we suggest if you want to force a run anyways that you create a script that looks for logged in users and forces a logout and/or a reboot of agent at 1 hour prior to your schedule run.

This will allow you to push updates and if data loss occurs on that agent, it will not be a PR issue at that point.

skyscan

Post by skyscan »

Hello - quick clarification to make sure I understand correctly.

When you say PR skipped the install you are meaning that PR skipped the install of the windows update agent. PR is not installing any windows security patches like Automate is - only WUA correct?

So the end user needs to be logged out prior to PR updating the WUA? Is there any way PR can log the user out for me prior to updating the WUA? With nearly 4,000 agents Id rather not run a global script nightly looking for anyone logged in and log them out (unless I had to for PR purposes ya know what I mean)

Is there an easier way???

jmaxwell

Post by jmaxwell »

Yes I was wondering about this reason code as well. I know the help document lists missing ignite patch window. I was looking to get more clarification as to where this information is gathered from specifically? I also would like to get clarification on what skyscan stated in their most recent response. And what the options are relating to this reason code, if any, besides additional scripts.
Thanks

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

We are strictly speaking about Windows 10 Upgrades from older versions to new ones. PR skips Windows 10 upgrades if user is logged in and locked. Now with that said, we have just released a new build of PR that adds a function to "override" the skipping of the install of upgrades. You will find this control under the Windows 10 update scheduler in the plugin.

Cubert

jmaxwell

Post by jmaxwell »

My apologies, but seems I am more confused now. haha We are talking about the 'Missed Patch Windows' tab not the 'Windows 10 upgrade tab'?? I am referring to the Missed Patch Windows tab in regards to the "user logged in, could cause data loss or instability' Reason code. It was stated above about strictly dealing with Windows 10 upgrades. However, on my list in this tab with this reason code are Windows 7 , Windows Server machines, etc...

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

That's my bad, I keep getting crossed posted!!

So yes the Missing Patch Window.

This has nothing to do with WIndows 10. The missing patch window looks for agents that are offline, logged in or otherwise in a position to not patch do to some circumstance. We do a quick scan of the LT database for agents that fit it these boxes and report on them in our plugin. We do not actively get involved, just look for possible issues.

This does not mean that patching didn't actually happen, barring offline agents, just that there could be an issue that caused patching to not take place.

MrRat

Post by MrRat »

Cubert wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:51 pm This does not mean that patching didn't actually happen, barring offline agents, just that there could be an issue that caused patching to not take place.
this, exactly.

Patching requires rebooting, sometimes before and often after patches are applied. Rebooting while a user is logged in is dangerous to data integrity and is the reason for the Patch Manager policy of Suppress Reboot and Alert. You can configure a different Reboot Policy in Patch Manager to ignore logged in status and reboot on a schedule or during patching if desired. Then you can just ignore the "User Logged In" messages in Patch Remedy as they become irrelevant.. I just wouldn't recommend it for workstations; I do however reboot servers even if a user is logged in since they shouldn't have documents open at the time just management tools.

Return to “Patch Remedy for LabTech (Patch Remedy 4) Retired”