Patch success percentages

Support and question forum for Patch Remedy 4 WUA plugin for LabTech. This plugin was retired on 06/01/2022. All new Patch Remedy 5 is now the current plugin. This forum is for retaining the old posts for Patch Remedy 4.
efiniste

Patch success percentages

Post by efiniste »

I'm trying to figure out why our patch success counts have dropped. Fully patched is at 31 of 200+ while 90% patched is at 65. Previously the figures were much higher than this. These are predominantly Windows 10 machines.

On a couple of machines I can see that they are missing cumulative updates for eg. May but have successfully installed the cumulative update for June. As I understand it cumulative updates are superseded by the subsequent month's update so in the case above, May's patch is no longer available, nor is it needed on this machine as it has a later cumulative update installed.

Is this "missing" update counted against the Patch percentage in Patch Remedy?

Cubert

Re: Patch success percentages

Post by Cubert »

First what version of PR are you running?

Make sure to be on the latest.

Patch Remedy will fluctuate often based of what systems are releasing new updates. Here is a good running scenario of a standard MSP.

In May 2017 Patch Remedy has updated all Windows 10 and 2008/Windows 7 systems to current WUA versions. The MSP has 500 Windows 7 systems and 500 Windows 10 systems just to make the math easy.

June 2017 comes along and Microsoft release a WUA rollup for Windows 7. LabTech is able to have 1 Windows 7 system process the update that bumps WUA up a version. Now 499 Windows 7 systems see themselves out of date. 1 week later Patch Remedy releases updates to plugin that now support Microsoft's newest release the week before. Patch remedy starts to update online systems so the numbers start to come back down from 50% up to date to 60% then to 70% and so on but during this time we are now reaching July 2017 and Microsoft release a Windows 10 Rollup with a new WUA. so now all Windows 10 are out of date which is 50% of your systems. Add the 30% your still missing from Windows 7 systems and your now at 20% Up to date. Patch Remedy gets it's update and then starts patching windows 10 systems that are online along with catching other Windows 7 as they pop on and off the grid.

So someone doing everything right and staying on top of the different updates will still see wide swings of the pendulum on a regular bases. This should be expected as new updates get released. Not all agents will get updated at the same time so it will take time for things to catch up. During the catch up their is surely gonna be a new release of some patch from MS that will start the whole thing over again.

The big thing to walk away with here is Do you still have grossly out of date WUA's or are you just a brick or two high on the overview tab? That main chart really tells you the level of out of dateness you really are?

Sorry for such an old picture, this was a very early version (1.0.3.18) 1 Brick high is really good, 10 bricks high for any OS is really bad in the world of WUA updates.
Overview.png
Overview.png (148.57 KiB) Viewed 7200 times

efiniste

Re: Patch success percentages

Post by efiniste »

Yep, I'm on the latest version. Highest number is 5 (Windows 7 Pro x64)on that page.
I've updated the patching engine to 11 today so I'll see what pans out over the next few patch windows.

Cheers,

Steve

Return to “Patch Remedy for LabTech (Patch Remedy 4) Retired”