Install failure against LT10.5 environment.

This forum supports the ESX Host Health Monitor plugin. When posting post screenshots of issues and any script and command logs listed in the probe consoles.
AJB703

Install failure against LT10.5 environment.

Post by AJB703 »

I'm trying to install against our 10.5 environment, and when I get to the stage when we load the DLL via the Plugin Manager, it's throwing an error:

"There was an error uploading the new plugin"

I'll also note that the download linked on this site is 3.0.9, rather than the 3.0.10 referenced on the Squidworks page for the plugin.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks!

Cubert

Re: Install failure against LT10.5 environment.

Post by Cubert »

Yes, Right click DLL file and select properties. Under main tab at bottom will be a unlock check box or button. Select it to unlock dll and apply. Close properties windows, close LT console and reopen LT console, reinstall DLL and it will go right through this time.

AJB703

Post by AJB703 »

Cubert:

Thanks. That part of it is resolved.

Unfortunately, on the two test systems / locations I've deployed to, when I get to the Test Host part of the process, both throw the same error.

Code: Select all

Starting Scans 
Start CIM Collection on 172.31.0.14
><><><
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python27\check_esxi_hardware.py", line 243, in <module>
    import pkg_resources
ImportError: No module named pkg_resources

Scan is now complete.

mark.stlaske

Post by mark.stlaske »

AJB703, I'm on LT 10.5 and got the same error "ImportError: No module named pkg_resources" when testing on 3 separate clients. Luckily, I found the solution that worked for all 3 of mine.

When selecting an agent for the probe and python script install; select the same machine that you have the VMware vSphere Client installed. Before setting the credentials into the plugin; test the user/pass in vSphere Client and confirm the vendor hardware that is listed in vSphere. (It's possible the python error in line 243 came from selecting a probe agent without VSphere or selecting the wrong host hardware).

Prior to getting the plugin working with CIM data; I found a problem with the script: "Install ESX CIM Probe Application V3.1". While the script was a overall success to install in the LT script logs; in the approx middle of the script output logs; python extensions fail to install. This error is caused by a path typo in "install_python_extensions.bat" which hard-codes the path of "C:\Python25" six times. At some point, the main script was updated to "C:\Python27". To fix; unzip the files in \Transfer\Utilities\VMWare\esxi_monitor_application3.1.zip; manually update the path/folder name 6 times in the batch file then re-zip using 7zip. On the LT agents that you've already installed the script too; just manually delete the VMware files in LTSVC and "C:\Python27"; re-run the install script and all steps will be a success. (This fix did not correct the package error I got when clicking on the test host button within the location config tab)

I did receive 1 alert from the internal monitor "CIM - VMware ESXi Health Monitor" however did not mean a whole lot:
"CIM - VMware ESXi Health Monitor FAILED on Client\PC at Main for 0 result 3". To fix; within the config of the internal monitor; set the identity field to "CIM_Item" which will pass more info along. After the monitor tweak; the email alert provides add clarification: "Power Supply 3 Power Supplies"

Return to “VMWare ESX Host Health Monitor”