Trying to patch a Oracle 9.3 (Linux) system it seems to find packages but they never seem to install

Automate Package Manager is a robust solution for MSPs seeking an efficient and streamlined approach to software management across diverse operating systems. With its cross-platform compatibility, integration with popular package managers like Chocolatey, Apt-get, Yum, and Homebrew makes it the go to choice for software update management.
Cubert

Re: Trying to patch a Oracle 9.3 (Linux) system it seems to find packages but they never seem to install

Post by Cubert »

roger that, Allow me a moment to see what's going on and I will get back to you.

Cubert

Re: Trying to patch a Oracle 9.3 (Linux) system it seems to find packages but they never seem to install

Post by Cubert »

Wow, I had a (x) where I should of had an (i).

I should have also fixed the issue with the console items in list boxes not actually making a selection and assuming the item in list that is showing was actually selected. It should now always default to the first item in each list, selected or nothing selected.

I will have update posted shortly, your auto update should pick it up tonight and update your plugin for you.

strombly

Post by strombly »

ok I see the update, we have the server set to patch Sunday at 5 am so will let it run and update you on Tuesday when I am back in the ofice.

strombly

Post by strombly »

see the commands going but get the same errors
Looks like its scanning fine, but the error is no matching packages to list.
and it never updates the systems.
and the system never is listed under agent updates, but a different ubuntu server is listed there with available updates
Attachments
2024-02-27_08-03-55.png
2024-02-27_08-03-55.png (15.38 KiB) Viewed 179 times

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

From what I can decern,

There are maybe 2 packages that are in the package list that are failing to "get more info" when we loop through each of the available packages.

Since I do not have an Oracle box, can I have you try a few things to see if we can resolve the issues?

#1 Modify Scanner script (APM Agent Scanner)

Open line #28 (Should hold a bash script like below)
Find the highlighted code block as seen in image below.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 111030.png
Screenshot 2024-02-27 111030.png (55.61 KiB) Viewed 176 times

Replace the loop (6 lines of code) with the following updated code loop.

Code: Select all

for package in $installed_packages; do
                root_name=$(rpm -q --qf '%{NAME}\n' $package 2>/dev/null)
                current_version=$(rpm -qi "$root_name" 2>/dev/null | grep "Version" | awk '{print $3}' | head -n 1)
                available_version=$(yum info "$root_name" 2>/dev/null | grep "Version" | awk '{print $3}'| sort -rV | head -n 1)
                a+='(%computerid%,"'$root_name'","'$current_version'","'$available_version'"),'
        done

The difference is I am now piping STDERR to null instead to terminal by adding " 2>/dev/null" to each command line we execute.

Make this change in bash script, save the LT script and then using the debug feature at the bottom of LT script, run script against the Oracle agent. It should execute script live for you to see what script is doing and what it is outputting when completed.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 112230.png
Screenshot 2024-02-27 112230.png (93.02 KiB) Viewed 176 times

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Running debug is pretty simple.

First select the agent you want to run script on.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 112629.png
Screenshot 2024-02-27 112629.png (20.26 KiB) Viewed 176 times

Then select start, wait for it to initialize and then select next break. It will then start executing line by line the script. When completed it will leave a list of return variables in box. Well check the output to see if it still has errors..

Screenshot 2024-02-27 112717.png
Screenshot 2024-02-27 112717.png (136.66 KiB) Viewed 176 times

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

I made some changes to script, and pushed out another update. Build 1.0.0.10

https://delivery.shopifyapps.com/-/5c58 ... 970b3e72e7

strombly

Post by strombly »

ok downloaded and applied update.
Made the requested change to the script.
ran debug. attached images of results it did pass and I no longer see the errors
still nothing for onboard Linux Agents Group
Attachments
Update3.png
Update3.png (35.11 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Update2.png
Update2.png (8.33 KiB) Viewed 170 times
update1.png
update1.png (11.62 KiB) Viewed 170 times

strombly

Post by strombly »

Good news it now appears to be registering correctly, as I see it listed in the agents with updates pane.
I manual told it to apply updates and it appears to be updating now, will let you know the result
Attachments
update4png.png
update4png.png (15.58 KiB) Viewed 154 times

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

:D Awesome!

I do notice from the image above that this agent is not set to auto update.

So only manual updating will work until you adjust settings.

Remember, any agent set to auto update and does not have a policy set will test for updates daily.

Return to “Automate Package Manager”