Application Manager - Cache Location

Support forums for the Habitat Automate plugin
NathanWilson

Application Manager - Cache Location

Post by NathanWilson »

Hello,

We're trying to set up a shared cache across our client base (Azure hosted storage container) to use for third party updates due to the chocolatey throttling. I've followed the documentation for setting this at the location level, however when I then proceed and set a device as the cache agent, it immediately begins to download to that device, not the azure location.

How can this be achieved please? In summary we're looking to get the repo's to download updates to \\AzureLocation\TPPCache, then all 300 clients to look at that location as its cache location.

Thanks,

NathanWilson

Re: Application Manager - Cache Location

Post by NathanWilson »

Also, is there any reporting in Habitat or something created outside of the plugin to report on success/fail for the application manager? We've just recently downgraded from Automate TPP to Habitat so we need a way to report on how successful this is

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

NathanWilson wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:31 am Hello,

We're trying to set up a shared cache across our client base (Azure hosted storage container) to use for third party updates due to the chocolatey throttling. I've followed the documentation for setting this at the location level, however when I then proceed and set a device as the cache agent, it immediately begins to download to that device, not the azure location.

How can this be achieved please? In summary we're looking to get the repo's to download updates to \\AzureLocation\TPPCache, then all 300 clients to look at that location as its cache location.

Thanks,
This is the expected behavior for a caching manager agent. Its job is to download all approved packages from package list and then place them on the share provided. As long as the share can be accessed using SMB from agent then once agent has all the packages locally it will push them up to share and removes them from its self. It does "not" copy from repo to share in one step. It's a 3 step process, download locally, copy to share, validate files exist, remove local copy.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

NathanWilson wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:52 am Also, is there any reporting in Habitat or something created outside of the plugin to report on success/fail for the application manager? We've just recently downgraded from Automate TPP to Habitat so we need a way to report on how successful this is
We do not provide any external reporting but all our data is available in the database. You could create a script that reads the data fields you are looking for to get data like last update time and packages installed. What versions each package is currently and what versions are available to get agents behind on updates.

Scripts could test for current versions out of date or do a general dump of data and send it to you via email. I am not fully up to date on ConnectWise DataViews, but I believe you can also create these inside of CWA to provide a console view of this data.

App habitat tables are prefixed with plugin_p4a_habitat_xxxxtablenamexxxx.

This could apply for any service in Habitat.

NathanWilson

Post by NathanWilson »

Thanks Cubert, that makes sense.

Also we're onto day 3 of having app manager enabled for all of our clients. However when looking at the plugin, all the repo versions are still none. Have we missed a step? We've read the documentation a few times now and can't see anything obvious we've missed.
habitat.png
habitat.png (81.39 KiB) Viewed 1385 times

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Have you setup any caches yet? You need a cache setup and a caching manager running. We will start capturing master versions once an available agent is present.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Looks like we have identified an issue with Chocolatey versions causing some odd behavior. I will have an update out today.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Return to “Habitat”