Windows 10 ISO failed to download to the locations Network share.

Support and question forum for Patch Remedy 4 WUA plugin for LabTech. This plugin was retired on 06/01/2022. All new Patch Remedy 5 is now the current plugin. This forum is for retaining the old posts for Patch Remedy 4.
NoahsMyBro

Re: Windows 10 ISO failed to download to the locations Network share.

Post by NoahsMyBro »

I just noticed this in the Commands tile on one of the agents I tried to test this on:

Code: Select all

ERR Could not Download file /Transfer/Software\Windows10\Windows10-1809Oct_v2_English_x64.iso
NOTE the change in direction of the \ characters. That's odd, and is not anything I entered anywhere. I've left the Web URL field blank, and so PR should be going to

\\{LTShare}\Transfer\Software\Transfer\Windows10\
right?

-- Steve

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Odd,

We only download from one section of code.. Here is that code.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (27.97 KiB) Viewed 15499 times

We first test for a ISO URL and if not exist we try the LT Share (see line 452)

NoahsMyBro

Post by NoahsMyBro »

I can't explain why I'm seeing the failure to download the ISO from the LTShare path.
In the meantime I decided to ignore that for the time being and move on, so I added a Web URL and proceeded along that path.

My test agent now is able to download the ISO and I see it appear in the cache, and I then see it copy to the agent.

But the script fails and shows this error in the Commands tile:
Parameters:

powershell.exe!!! -Command "Get-Process -Name Setup.exe | Where-Object {$_.Path -like \"*Windows10UG*\"} | Stop-Process -Force"
Output:

Get-Process : Cannot find a process with the name "Setup.exe". Verify the process name and call the cmdlet again.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-Process -Name Setup.exe | Where-Object {$_.Path -like "*Windows10 ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Setup.exe:String) [Get-Process], ProcessCommandException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoProcessFoundForGivenName,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetProcessCommand
In the Scripts tile I see an entry that states "Windows 10 Updates are now processing on the PC, allow 2 to 4 hours to complete. User may need to log into system to fully complete the updates." (2:28pm), and later:"We are back from our sleep period." (5:15pm), followed by "Stopping Script. Upgrade appears to have failed." (5:17pm)

=======
So, it looks to me like the process
  • successfully downloads the ISO and then copies the ISO to the cache folder on the network.
  • Extracts the contents of the ISO to a folder on the agent itself
  • Then tries to launch setup.exe from the files it just extracted, but can't find the setup.exe file
I'm stumped. This isn't some custom iso, so the setup.exe file should be in wherever it is and has always been. I haven't customized anything. THEN, when the files are extracted, it is PR doing the extraction, and PR saving the files to the agent, so I'd expect PR to know where the files are once they are saved to the agent's hdd. Finally, I wouldn't expect this to be a file permissions problem because PR was able to create the folder and copy the files to the hdd, so I'd expect PR to have whatever permissions it needs.

Help?

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Look in the ltsvc directory of agent for a patch remedy/windows10up/to see all extracted files from ISO. I bet ther ws some ssue with the extraction causing setup,exe not to be present.

Can you verify?

NoahsMyBro

Post by NoahsMyBro »

The created folder was windows10UG, not up. Don't know if that's a clue.

win10Upg4Capture.JPG
win10Upg4Capture.JPG (39.5 KiB) Viewed 15465 times

NoahsMyBro

Post by NoahsMyBro »

I issued the PR command to upgrade the OS now on this agent, and am currently at the point in the script where the last script log entry was:
"Windows 10 Updates are now processing on the PC, allow 2 to 4 hours to complete. User may need to log into system to fully complete the updates."

Task Manager, Details, shows a setup.exe running, consuming 532kb of Memory and zero CPU.

The Commands tile shows:
"cmd.exe!!! /c "%ltsvcdir%\PatchRemedy\windows10UG\setup.exe /auto upgrade /Compat IgnoreWarning /DynamicUpdate disable /copylogs c:\Windows10UpgradeLogs"

with an Output of 'OK'

NOW, while all of the above is going on (really, I don't believe anything at all is happening), I opened up an administrator-elevated CMD window on the agent itself, and ran the following command:

C:\Windows\LTSvc\PatchRemedy\windows10UG\setup.exe /?
That returned an error box titles 'Install Windows', showing the error message:
"The file 'autorun.dll' could not be loaded or is corrupt. Setup cannot continue. Error code is [0x7E]."

There is an autorun.dll located at C:\Windows\LTSvc\PatchRemedy\windows10UG\sources, and it shows it is 171kb.

I've run this script repeatedly and it keeps failing in the same way. It seems unlikely to me that the autorun.dll file might be bad within the .iso, but maybe?

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Try and extract the ISO over again manually. Then rerun the command.

Does it still report issue? Most of the time we see permission based issues so it maybe who extracted the ISO that matters.

See if that changes anything

NoahsMyBro

Post by NoahsMyBro »

The ISO seems to extract just fine on the cache system. And when the folder is mounted as D:\ everything is present.

But then the robocopy doesn't seem to copy everything.

I'm going to try again, this time selecting the checkbox to copy the files to the agent.

I'll come back and post my results.

NoahsMyBro

Post by NoahsMyBro »

The upgrade failed again. Haven't had time to investigate today.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Do a manual robo copy of files from network share to local agent and see how long it takes.

If it takes more than 14 minutes Labtech will fail the command and move on. It then launches setup which may not have all files there yet. By the time you check files exist but corrupt most likely during setup call.

Lets see how long and if command cause a issue over network.

Return to “Patch Remedy for LabTech (Patch Remedy 4) Retired”