Windows 10 upgrade Not Pushing at all?

Support and question forum for Patch Remedy 4 WUA plugin for LabTech. This plugin was retired on 06/01/2022. All new Patch Remedy 5 is now the current plugin. This forum is for retaining the old posts for Patch Remedy 4.
jmaxwell

Windows 10 upgrade Not Pushing at all?

Post by jmaxwell »

We are having an issue with the Windows 10 Upgrades. It seems they are not pushing at all. We are now on 1.0.4.33. I have followed the instructions on the setup in the forums(viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5462). My understanding to reset for another attempt we do the following: Doing a reset on the upgrade log(or choose the option 'Enable/Disble Auto OS upgrade' for multiple computers), make sure the Auto Upgrade tab is set to yes, set the schedule for specific time. However, it does not seem to do the upgrade at the schedule time nor at all. The log message still remains in "Automatic OS upgrade of Windows 10 has been set and should start on the next scan cycle". I could not find any scripts around the scheduled time to indicate it ran. Previously the log has changed depending on the issues. But not now. Am I missing something in the process of resetting and re attempting the auto upgrade? I have recently tried this multiple times on multiple machines all the same result. I have done this process on same group of clients in previous versions and it has ran based on the scripts and the upgrade log messages. This issue started sometime on version 1.0.4.30. Let me know if you need additional information.
Please advise.

Cubert

Re: Windows 10 upgrade Not Pushing at all?

Post by Cubert »

Can you post the logs from LTServer during the scheduled time frame?

Did patch remedy run and log anything? Did it report not finding any agents that were set to upgrade or does script run and bail out at some point in the beginning of process?

jmaxwell

Post by jmaxwell »

It seems PR has made a liar out of me. haha
But previously it would not process as it should. I could not find where any scripts had run around the time frame set relating to upgrades.
However, I had scheduled multiple machines on Sunday(8/12) 1 a.m. time frame. These machines upgrade log have now changed with multitude of messages. I verified on a few machines that the scripts ran under the Computer Management screen. Not sure where else to find these PR scripts or logs??
Please refresh my memory on where to find logs from LTserver??
Also, is there a way to troubleshoot the messages/error within the upgrade log and PR scripts? Or is it case by case depending on the message? Is there documentation on the errors/messages I may have missed regarding the windows 10 upgrade log?
Let me know if you need additional information.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Server logs are found at c:\program files\labtech\logs\plugin-Patchremedy.txt

The maintenance script used is located at scripts/maintenance/Patch remedy Maintenance script

This script has all the functions Patch Remedy is executing and the pertaining logs it produces when mile markers are reached or missed.

So depending on the type of error, this could denote where in the script we bailed out and why.

jmaxwell

Post by jmaxwell »

I tried to attach the plugin-patchremedy.txt log but gives me invalid extension error. Also, I only see one instance of this log. Not sure how to find previous date and times. Please advise.

Here are current messages needing assistance troubleshooting:

Script failed stopping install: 2 machines, at same location, with this error stated windows 10 upgrade started but there was no script in the console about script failing like it shows in the upgrade log in PR. And the upgrade did not finish according to automate and PR.
Same location but different machine shows the same error but according to automate and PR, it has the upgraded version and the scripts stated it was upgrading. However, no script or upgrade log states it completed. Just the Script failed message.
Another machine at different location had same error but the error was in the computer management with a script citing same as in the upgrade log.

Windows10 ISO failed to download to the locations Network share: But yet at same location another machine seem to download the iso and started the Windows 10 upgrade…?

Windows 10 Updates are now processing on the PC, allow 2 to 4 hours to complete. User may need to log into system to fully complete the updates. But according to automate and PR, it did not finish.

Please let me know any additional information you need. Please advise.
Thanks

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Once we fire off the upgrade command, we are out of the process. Windows 10 upgrades take over and do all the work. So if you get to the point that the logs states "Allow 2-4 hours" then you now need to troubleshoot Windows installer, not the plugin. If you get network share issues errors then you have some level of permissions issues that prevents the agents service account from accessing that share.

jmaxwell

Post by jmaxwell »

Ok thanks for that information. I wanted to confirm if PR pushes the windows 10 upgrades independantly of the automate policies set in place? I know in the help documentation that when you attempt to push normal updates in PR it's based on the polices set in automate patch manager. Does this also apply with the windows 10 upgrade?

dpltadmin

Post by dpltadmin »

I'm having a similar problem.

If i go into PR and schedule an upgrade now on an agent it does what its supposed to (assuming all prerequisites are complete).

It has been a while since I messed with trying to schedule an Automatic Upgrade.

Today at around 3pm, I configured the Upgrade Scheduler and I changed it from Thursday 11am to Wednesday (Today) 6pm. About 3 hours before i needed the Automatic Upgrades to process.

I set the 10 or so agents to Yes for enabling Auto Upgrade.and confirmed that the Upgrade Scheduler was set for Wednesday at 6pm.

When I looked in the logs of the machines that should have attempted Auto Upgrade tonight, the script never scheduled/ran at the scheduled time.

Is there some process behind the scenes that needs to happen for the scripts to get scheduled? If so what is that process, and how often does it occur? How can i force it to schedule scripts, if i need to change it on short notice?

Not sure if it makes a difference but PR is version 1.0.4.38 and Labtech 11.471

Thanks!

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

We should look on the server for the plugin_Patchremedy.txt log file in the LT logs folder. look at the logs to see if any script was scheduled to run at or around that time. Then set the day 24 hours in advance and then retest for the next day watching logs. If issues stil there post the logs here.

dpltadmin

Post by dpltadmin »

Cubert, thanks for getting back to me.

I had looked in the log file based on the suggestion earlier in this thread and didn't see anything resembling scheduling of scripts or any errors.

Around 8pm last night I changed it for Thursday at 6pm thinking that maybe scripts don't get scheduled until some sort of back end processing at midnight.

I'd really like to be able to schedule this same day with maybe a 4 hour lead time or know exactly what process triggers the scheduling to happen so i can confirm and feel good that its going to kick the scripts off on the required machines at the selected time.

I'll let you know how it goes tonight. Thanks!

Return to “Patch Remedy for LabTech (Patch Remedy 4) Retired”