Windows Upgrade Assistant Messages and prompts

Support forums for the Habitat Automate plugin
jcasteel

Windows Upgrade Assistant Messages and prompts

Post by jcasteel »

Should the upgrade message we set in a policy be presented to the end-user regardless of whether or not we enable the ability for them to cancel the update?

Also, is it normal for it to use all of the reboot policy prompts that we use for patching when deploying feature updates?

Cubert

Re: Windows Upgrade Assistant Messages and prompts

Post by Cubert »

The message if presented to users will also present a cancel button as part of the dialog. So the message and cancel are joined at the hip.

Can't have one without the other in its current form. I can look at what is needed to change that behavior as Habitat grows.

jcasteel

Post by jcasteel »

Thanks for the quick reply.

So the message overall won't appear unless the cancel option is checked in the policy.

Good to know. I've done quite a few upgrades, but we always coordinate with the users so they're aware and just let them run. I did one today on a test system and checked the option to allow the user to cancel and noticed all those prompts, which was new to me, so I wanted to confirm that was all normal and expected. Thanks!

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Yes, the logic is, if you don't want the user to cancel the upgrade then no notice is better than some notice. In my years as Help Desk tech guy I seen some crazy actions to stop what they think was done in error. Users start jamming buttons and pulling power cables in attempts to stop some automated action that most likely had already run and the message was the end result.

So User notice is only given if user can alter upgrade status.

jcasteel

Post by jcasteel »

Cubert wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:02 pm Yes, the logic is, if you don't want the user to cancel the upgrade then no notice is better than some notice. In my years as Help Desk tech guy I seen some crazy actions to stop what they think was done in error. Users start jamming buttons and pulling power cables in attempts to stop some automated action that most likely had already run and the message was the end result.

So User notice is only given if user can alter upgrade status.
So any reasons that it would behave differently? We're in the process of doing a series of feature updates for a client that has some internal IT resources and I'm testing with them so they're familiar with the process. We did this on a test system yesterday using the same policy I've used on another system just a day earlier only this time we received no prompts, no option to cancel, no splash screen and no reboot prompts. Any suggestions?

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

If the check box is checked to allow user interaction in the policy then the messages should go out to agent but only if agent console 0 is logged in.

So if you watching from a terminal service window you will not see a prompt.

If this is not what you experienced then snaphot the policy for us and post it here. Also post the script logs for that agent so we can see what steps it worked through.

Return to “Habitat”