3rd Party Application Management

Support forums for the Habitat Automate plugin
dbitters

Re: 3rd Party Application Management

Post by dbitters »

I moved my previous post to the build release topic.

ShawnSwitzer

Post by ShawnSwitzer »

I'm having some issues setting up the new application manager.

It works perfectly for sites where every machine at a site are in defined locations, but I have a ton of sites where many of the agents are in home offices and have no way to resolve access to shared files in a central location.

I noticed that there is an option to manually update an endpoint using the community repo.
Is it possible to trigger that if the script detects an error connecting to the cache?

Also, I noticed that it detects null "installed version" values as currentImage

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Ah,

I can understand the confusion over versioning. The "current" maybe needs to be relabeled to "recent" or something more along that line. This represents that the service automation has run on this agent recently. The apps themselves will alert to out of date one by one as managed.

This allows you to confirm activity on agent.

Comments?

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

As to the option to "basically" self cache I will look in to adding as an option.

The current work around for this in a one off scenario is to create a location for that one PC and move PC to that location. Set the Location drive and user access to a local directory and user account then set PC as caching agent for location.

This work around is not ideal but would in a pinch let you get a laptop or 2 up and updating under a client.

You don't want 50 locations under a client (Janet's house, bob's house, the garage, etc...) so I would not suggest more than 2 or so.

And we will look to add in a better offsite agent update process soon.

ShawnSwitzer

Post by ShawnSwitzer »

Thanks for explaining that. Now that I understand what the "Current" check indicates it makes perfect sense.
I'm not sure if there is anything that would make that immediately obvious beyond a tooltip stating something to the effect of "check for updates has run recently"

Regarding the self caching agents, thank you for looking into it. Over half of our sites decided that work from home was the future over the last year. 40-60% of all endpoints at these sites are out of the office.

In the implementation, would it be possible to build it in such a way that I don't have to manually set that feature per-agent and instead just trigger that mode if it can't see the location's cache?

If that is not an option, could you make it location-based so that I can move all offsite machines to one location per site and set a flag?

I really want to avoid setting something on over 1000 endpoints all at once.

dbitters

Post by dbitters »

I'd like to circle back to two possible issues.

1. The installed version collum in this version of Habitat is blank for all agents. This collum was useful in previous versions so we can see if the agent is working properly and so we can see the version change and keep an eye on the upgrade. This column has been blank since the major version release. Is this expected, or is this a bug of some sort? It would be great if this functionality could return. I have a screenshot of this below.
habitat_app_installed_version.PNG
habitat_app_installed_version.PNG (31.56 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
When double-clicking on an application name as the window suggest, or right-clicking to view the logs, the logs are no longer being pulled into this popup window. The only way to currently see the logs is to view the script history on each system and then each application manually from each agent. I have a screenshot showing the blank log in Habitat, but the correct log in the Labtech Agent.
habitat_app_installed_log.PNG
habitat_app_installed_log.PNG (7.24 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
habitat_app_installed_Labtech_log.PNG
habitat_app_installed_Labtech_log.PNG (18.42 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
Let me know what you think and if these two concerns can be addressed.
Thanks again for all the assistance.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

yes sir, looks like you found 2 bugs, as both of those should work as your expecting them to.

I will look into this and see why they are either not displaying or not getting updated. One of the 2.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

In build 1.0.1.8 we started fixing this issue by correcting the update log. In build 1.0.1.9 due out today we updated the function to also capture install from cache log data correctly. !.0.1.8 should also have the version information now displaying correctly.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (66.28 KiB) Viewed 2479 times

dbitters

Post by dbitters »

How is your 1.0.1.9 version testing working out? I'm anxious to check out the version column to see if the software versions are getting updated as expected. I am seeing the logs now in version 1.0.1.8, so that's great.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

We blew through .9 and are now on to .11

You should have .10 in system now. If still showing less than, close consoles and log out, and back in again. See if it updated the control center.

As for .11
Another cool tool is being released. read about in the Doc section and in a new post going out today.

Return to “Habitat”