Windows Upgrade Assistant

Support forums for the Habitat Automate plugin
JvdMaat

Windows Upgrade Assistant

Post by JvdMaat »

I just tried to run an upgrade on my workstation (That I've been logged in to all day).
One of the first few log entries shows this:
No user logged into desktop console, exiting user input and continuing upgrade.
Checking the agent in Automate, that seems accurate:
AutomateAgent.png
AutomateAgent.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
Can the script use an actual check on the system to see if a user is logged in rather than what Automate incorrectly seems to think?
Or could it just skip the check and send the message in all cases (or would that throw an error if no user was logged in? I briefly looked at the script, but it's a little over my head to decipher that this close to midnight.)

JvdMaat

Re: Windows Upgrade Assistant

Post by JvdMaat »

Just ran it on a colleague's system, and here is some more feedback for future improvements:
- I'm in EST, he is in PST. When I told Habitat to Upgrade Now, it scheduled it for 3 hours from now. So there's some time-zone accounting that's not accurate. (ie, it is 11:00 for him, 14:00 here, and the install was scheduled for 17:00 my time)

Figured out how to run it directly on his machine through scheduling a script, and it gave him the standard patch popup stating that the system needs to be patched, can require multiple reboots, and up to two hours, etc.
And the dialog buttons are YES and NO with a 90 second timeout.

Can that be customized?

One thing I did with the feature release script that Automate put out was move that dialog box until after the ISO file had been downloaded and MD5 hash checked. So it would come up and actually prompt the user right before the actual install (as the download could take a long time on some slower connections).
What are the options for making that a better user experience?

Is there (this is a long shot) a way to check for metered connections and not download?

If the popup box is missed, or the user clicks NO. What's the retry policy? (the script just puts a SQL insert into the table, but doesn't mention anything about a retry)

And final comment for now. In the big list view in Habitat where we can assign policies. Scrolling down the list manually and finding a system is tedious. Is there any option to filter that? (or maybe at some point create Searches and Groups).
Maybe I'm getting way ahead of you here, and this is all planned once you get the base functionality in play.
But with 3000 agents, managing it from a single list view without filter is not easy.

Cubert

Re: Windows Upgrade Assistant

Post by Cubert »

Awesome post,

Yes we have larger plans for this part of the plugin. I agree with you and will be happy to continue the discussions on how we can improve the filtering and provide more control over user messaging..

Return to “Habitat”