App Genie 1.0.0 Overview

The support forum for the App Genie plugin. Find how-to's, product announcements and reported issues and resolutions. Posting here should be for the App Genie plugin.
wdyoung

Re: App Genie 1.0.0 Overview

Post by wdyoung »

Couple of questions as I start to play around with this:
1) What time do the updates install?
2) What happens if it tries to update and the software is running?
3) Can you add an option to exclude individual workstations?

Super excited to see this in action

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

1) What time do the updates install?

Currently we test updates 3 times a day, A bit excessive but we are in beta testing so we want to make sure we are moving along at a quick pace. Understand that the updated function is a scripted function. It will tell the end agent to run updates but the framework will report all is up to date so nothing happens at agent. (No loss of agent or control from desktop users) We will be adding features to allow you to set update time slots and to slow or stop the plugin.

2) What happens if it tries to update and the software is running?

We are using Chocolatey Framework to install updates, different application handle things differently so it is on a case by case bases that we can determine impact. Our expectations are that apps in use stay as they are until relaunched where updated software gets reloaded.

3) Can you add an option to exclude individual workstations?

That's a feature request! We sure can as the plugin matures we plan to add several key features to better control the plugin and it's automation. Keep an eye open and speak up when post about features is presented.

benf

Post by benf »

Hi, Im currently running the chocolatey plugin, should I disable/pause that while this is running? I never got choco 100% it works most of the time though which is fine. Im excited that this will be more powerful in the long term.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

They can run together yes. App Genie only worries about updates and is not concerned with installs and policies and such.

It just works!

wdyoung

Post by wdyoung »

I feel like I'm missing something overly obvious
--Open up a client and go to App Genie tab
--Check the enable Workstations box
--Save button on bottom left corner is greyed out
--After closing and reopening client screen the checkbox is not checked

Is there a save/apply button that I'm not seeing?

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

we had issue in previous build. Go upgrade to latest build. We update the first set of posts with package updates. Believe we are now on 1.0.12.0

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

So the basics are...

#1 Install plugin and restart the DBagent

#2 Launch a client console and check either or both check boxes.

If this is all you do it will start working over the next 24 hours. Actually if you turn it on at 9am it will have started by noon. But give the product 24 hours to get all agents on board.

Now if you want to, you can add to the plugins "App Search" via the Tools menu in Automate or the View menu in LabTech.

The App Search allows you to tell the plugin what software gets what Chocolatey Update Package.

Example:

You want to update Google Chrome:
The App Search = "Google Chrome" and the Package would = "googlechrome"

Now if you need to wildcard several software versions or define a particular software then use " % " as a wildcard.

Examples are

7-Zip.3% = 7zip (Any 7-zip software version 3X)

Adobe Acrobat%MUI% = adobereader (Find software for adobe where MUI is some where at the end of software title)

So by using the % sign you able to pretty much match any software title and associate a package for it. Then the plugin handles the rest.

The save button is a product of the windows and not part of the plugin so ignore the save button in the client console.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Launched Build 1.0.13.0

In this build we added automatic plugin updating. You should no longer need to monitor if the plugin has a new build. The plugin will check daily for updates and auto update itself.

MarkHodges

Post by MarkHodges »

One thing that would be nice is to have the list of apps when you open the app genie tab in the location to scale with the window size vs being this small window listing the apps installed.

would be nice ot see if the current installed version also matches the available version.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Scaling issues can be addressed. I will look at what is needed to query repo for found software versions.

Return to “App Genie”