LUM Not autoinstalling

This forums is to discuss issues and features of the Linux update Manager plugin for LabTech RMM
dcancela

LUM Not autoinstalling

Post by dcancela »

I have the checkbox checked to automatically install at midnight every night but it doesnt seem to even scan. Can you advise where i can look to start troubleshooting?

Thanks.

Cubert

Re: LUM Not autoinstalling

Post by Cubert »

Dave,

Have a look at the script and command tabs for the agent in question. It will show the LUM Maintenance script running against agent.

You should be able to follow it along to see what it is doing with either YUM or Apt-Get. Try running the updates manually in the plugin. Follow the same process with the monitoring of the scrips and commands tab. What is the output of those processes?

Post that here.

Linux can be a fickle beast, make sure your agent runs a root, make sure Linux distro has a operational Apt-Get or Yum updater. You can pick apart the LUM Maintenance script to see how we collect data and how we call for updates. Running through the steps manually may help shed light on why a given agent is failing.

There is a LT server log for the script scheduler on the LT host at c:\program files\labtech\logs\plugin_admon.txt
Make sure it is seeing your linux agent and assigning scripts.

Shannon

dcancela

Post by dcancela »

Shannon,

Sorry for the long delay. We stopped using it but now want to get it working. We subscribed to the paid version as well. So here is what i see. In the Labtech Server logs i can see that its complaining that the EDF is set to not auto-install patches.

"ComputerID [1009] has agent EDF set to prevent updates, skipping updates."

So, I take a look at the EDF, and i see that "Do Not Autoinstall LUM Updates" is not checked. And when i check the "View" option next to it to validate the setting, it returns "False".

Additionally, when i run the MySQL query "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM extrafielddata WHERE ExtraFieldID = (SELECT ID FROM extrafield WHERE `Name` = 'Do not autoinstall LUM updates') AND VALUE = '0' AND ID = '1009'" i get the correct returned value of "0".

I am currently running Automate Version 12 Patch 6. I can see the scripts running as expected, and I also have the correct root password assigned to the servers.

Thanks.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

is the value saving and changing when you check the box and uncheck it?

The SQL is looking for the agent ID, the Value 0 and the ID of the EDF name to match. If so it counts it as a 1.

The fact that your getting a 0 returned means it can not find that agent ID in matching a value of 0 and a numerical EDF ID of Auto update Linux.

In SQL test the following to see what is not matching, then toggle settings to see if it changes the data.

sql1.PNG
sql1.PNG (21.78 KiB) Viewed 18337 times
If you just look for the EDF ID does it produce one?

Code: Select all

SELECT ID FROM extrafield WHERE `Name` = 'Do not autoinstall LUM updates'

sql2.PNG
sql2.PNG (27.89 KiB) Viewed 18337 times
If you change the count (*) to just SELECT * and remove the "and value= 0 and ID = 'xxx'" from the SQL statment you should get all linux boxes produced and their current settings.

SELECT * FROM extrafielddata WHERE ExtraFieldID = (SELECT ID FROM extrafield WHERE `Name` = 'Do not autoinstall LUM updates') 

sql3.PNG
sql3.PNG (25.96 KiB) Viewed 18337 times
If you add back in the Value and ID tests into SQL do you get a single agent listed?

SELECT * FROM extrafielddata WHERE ExtraFieldID = (SELECT ID FROM extrafield WHERE `Name` = 'Do not autoinstall LUM updates') 
and Value = '0' and ID = '4'

And lastly, #4
sql4.PNG
sql4.PNG (25.5 KiB) Viewed 18337 times
If you put all the code back together, does it produce a count of 0 or 1. We are looking to get a count not a value. By getting a count over a value, the SQL will never "fail" because of data or an entry not being there. we will always no matter what either get a 0 or a 1. We want a 1 to proceed with update. Toggle all agents in edf you want updating to a '0'

SELECT count(*) FROM extrafielddata WHERE ExtraFieldID = (SELECT ID FROM extrafield WHERE `Name` = 'Do not autoinstall LUM updates') 
and Value = '0' and ID = '4'

dcancela

Post by dcancela »

Here are my results (using the same test linux machine ID 1009) from the SQL queries.

SQL1.JPG
SQL1.JPG (16.12 KiB) Viewed 18304 times
SQL2.JPG
SQL2.JPG (20.05 KiB) Viewed 18304 times
SQL3.JPG
SQL3.JPG (19.48 KiB) Viewed 18304 times

dcancela

Post by dcancela »

SQL4.JPG
SQL4.JPG (16.68 KiB) Viewed 18303 times
I can also see the value changing when i check and uncheck the box. (From 0 to 1)

I have noticed though that after a Labtech server reboot or patch (or something else?) the value gets reset to blank. So i have to check and uncheck it again to show up. Maybe that was the issue, i am not sure. But i am resetting them again just in case and i will let it run again and see if it works.

dcancela

Post by dcancela »

Just another update. I let it run overnight to see if it would patch, but i still see the in the script log that it still says "System has EDF set to exclude from autoinstalls of updates, exiting...".

And that was from midnight, which is correct in terms of timing. But if i look at the LUM console, the last scan was on the 23rd. Are scans on a different schedule than the install attempts?

And i looked in the MySql database and run your queries and everything is set correctly. I do not know why it still thinks it sees that its set to exclude still.

Thanks.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

So , in your case, if its a zero or a 1 you get the same log in during update?

Not sure that makes since.

dcancela

Post by dcancela »

Yes, it was. However, checking and unchecking "Do not autoinstall LUM updates" seems to have resolved it now. I'm not sure why but i have to "reset" that option a lot.

So now, it looks like it's working, and in the logs it shows that it was installing updates. But when i look at the LUM console, all the patches are still there; the number doesnt change.

Also, it still does not want to autoscan for patches. I have to manually do that.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Not sure why that is? The plugin does not set or unset that feature unless you click the check box. That's the only function written to change the values within the plugin.

Return to “Linux Update Manager”