Framework not installing

Support and questions for using and managing Chocolatey NuGet inside of Labtech
Cubert

Re: Framework not installing

Post by Cubert »

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

mmoyse wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:44 pm OK, just found another one with the same empty structure and failing to install Chocolatey. There's around 200 machines on a site I'm trying to roll this out on now with around 70 that are failing and I'm having to go through them manually now to determine why.

I deleted the empty structure and asked the plugin to install the app, I sort of expected it to realise that the framework wasn't there and to run the maintenance script to install but it didn't.

Feature request anyone?
3.0.0.43 should impose a fix for this now. If the installer is invoked it is assumed that Chocolatey is not installed or installed incorrectly and will seek out this directory and delete it first before attempting any installs. The system will then will attempt to install from remote then if fails install from local file and if failed run the TLC fix and reattempt again. This should help resolve install failures of the framework.

Also as long as the plugin shows Chocolatey not installed on an enabled agent it will launch an attempt to install Chocolatey. This reattempt is done at 12:01 AM daily. I am adding in a second check during the 12-1pm hour in 3.0.0.44

Please post back your findings to let us know if this has helped.

mmoyse

Post by mmoyse »

OK, I have a search which shows machines that are online and don't have 7-ZIP installed. I updated to 3.0.0.43 and just kept my hands off it so I wasn't fiddling with anything. I ran the search again today and I cannot see a significant change, previously there were 38 machines without 7-ZIP, now there are 36, I suspect it's just 2 that are not on at the time.

The couple I managed to find time to delve into had the framework missing.

So I have to say, this is not fixed.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

can we post the script logs from the attempts? Need to know why yours fails and others do not. If your available tomorrow (Tuesday 15th) for a short screen session I would like to have a direct look at one of the agents as we attempt to fire off a framework install.

The fact that we try 3 ways and all ways fail for you means there must be something we are not seeing... Maybe hands on would help reveal the issues.

mmoyse

Post by mmoyse »

We can certainly give it a try and the offer is much appreciated.

Since I fired off my framework install script this morning the numbers have dropped from 38 to 28 so some are now installing the apps so the framework must be fixed by my very basic script (I'm no programmer).

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

So there's got to be some thing simple we are hitting on your systems that are not hitting on ours...

Let me see if I can get some time tomorrow morning to get this looked at. Are you available around the 9:30 EST hour?

mmoyse

Post by mmoyse »

I think that's around 14:30 my time so yes, that's fine.

mmoyse

Post by mmoyse »

Thanks for your time, it was most helpful and productive.

We talked about Windows 7 machines, this may be more of a Chocolatety problem than your script but I ran the maintenance script and I'm seeing this result. I suspect it's a problem with the version of .Net

Code: Select all

Exception calling "DownloadString" with "1" argument(s): "The underlying connec
tion was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send."
At line:1 char:47
+ iex ((new-object net.webclient).DownloadString <<<< ('https://chocolatey.org/
install.ps1'))
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Had a really good meeting with Mike and his issues.

In summary : Deployments are taking place in instances where agents were online during automation but due to timing of automation a lot of agents are repeated skipped causing applications or framework to not be installed. Being that we are in a green new world and power downs are more and more likely we are going to make a new property value called SCRIPTOFFLINEAGENTS which if set to Yes will push the scripts to agents that are currently offline so they can execute as they come online. This will help get deployments rolling for companies whom follow this model.

The next issue was that Mike was hitting the limits of the public repo when the client automation time came up. We could see the command being sent and the repo rejecting it due to lockout.

Our next release will have our "Snail" function that allows you to set weekly or monthly only updates and our staggering function to prevent all agents from running at the same time. These 2 new scheduling features will help reduce the frequency of timeouts due to excessive requests in given amount of time.

We should be able to release 3.0.0.44 by end of week.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

No Problems! Thanks for hosting me. It helps get the perspective of the MSP on different issues.

Now this issue is odd.

Our script tries 3 ways to install Choco, do you see in the script logs logging for other attempts?

The one I am looking for would be the Downloading PS1 to local directory then executing POSH on that local file. Unless there is something in the PS1 that is causing the error so no matter where executed it fails.

If you execute the installer URI manually on agent from command window do you get same errors? If so then the script would be getting the same result and that would place issue inside of the Chocolatey installer and out of plugin control.

Post your findings for us when you get them.

mmoyse wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:45 pm Thanks for your time, it was most helpful and productive.

We talked about Windows 7 machines, this may be more of a Chocolatety problem than your script but I ran the maintenance script and I'm seeing this result. I suspect it's a problem with the version of .Net

Code: Select all

Exception calling "DownloadString" with "1" argument(s): "The underlying connec
tion was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send."
At line:1 char:47
+ iex ((new-object net.webclient).DownloadString <<<< ('https://chocolatey.org/
install.ps1'))
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

Return to “Chocolatey For Labtech”