I just want to update, I do not want to install (some applications)

Support and questions for using and managing Chocolatey NuGet inside of Labtech
brainstomp

I just want to update, I do not want to install (some applications)

Post by brainstomp »

Gang,

I find myself trying to sort out how to do this with the plugin but unable to. All I want for some applications is to update the application if it is installed but I do not want the application installed if it isn't already there.
When I check the box to update the application it automatically checks the box to install it. If I clear the install it also clears the update.

How do I get the plugin to just update the application if it is installed and NOT install the application if it isn't installed at all?

Cubert

Re: I just want to update, I do not want to install (some applications)

Post by Cubert »

A couple of things to understand with Chocolatey.

Chocolatey is a repository of software packages. For chocolatey to function as designed you must let chocolatey know that a package belongs to a given software. So for Chocolatey to update google chrome you have to tell it to install google chrome using package XYZ. Once that package is installed it can then use that package data to determine if an update is ever needed. But with out that install, chocolatey does not know to use package XYZ to update chrome.

So how do we tell it Google is installed? By having it reinstall it or more likely to attempt a install to see that its already there. Now chocolatey is aware of chrome and can now be called to update it against package XYZ.

So for chocolatey to upgrade it first must install so that a package can be associated to the software title.

If you are using Chocolatey for LabTech or Automate then you se all software to install/update and then use excludes to deny a package install.

If your using App Genie then we do a little work on the back end to define what's installed and only push packages to those agents that meet the requirements.

This URL describes some of the differences between the different plugins
https://www.plugins4automate.com/blogs/ ... r-automate

Return to “Chocolatey For Labtech”