Basic questions for the Chocolatey Plugin for Automate

Support and questions for using and managing Chocolatey NuGet inside of Labtech
md202

Basic questions for the Chocolatey Plugin for Automate

Post by md202 »

Hello,

We are new to this product and recently purchase the license for `Chocolately for Automate Unlimited Agents`. I've deployed the Plugin successfully in ConnectWise Automate Control Center using the provided DLL file and version 3.0.0.28.

I've reviewed the video tutorials posted on the site: https://www.plugins4automate.com/produc ... tey#videos

However, the current version of the Plugin does not seem to match the configuration features displayed in the tutorials.

Please provide clarification for the following:

1) For the configuration of the Global settings (Control Center >Tools > Chocolatey for Automate), is it required to configure the section "Poll"? What are the settings for "LT Server ID", "Local Sys Admin" and "Password"?
<<Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 15.56.57.png>>

2) Is it possible to configure the Plugin and framework to perform only application updates, only when the are already installed on a Computer? The global application settings accept only "Install" and "Install + Update". Selecting only "Update" is not possible.
<<Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 15.58.50.png>>

3) How do I access the settings to configure the scheduling for application updates? The video tutorial created in the year 2016 does present an option for scheduling. However, the current version does not seem to have them.

4) Does the Chocolatey framework need to be installed on every computer endpoint? If so, is the Plugin going to deploy the software framework automatically? How is the deployment managed from Automate?

4) Is there an up-to-date more detailed documentation or video tutorials for the current version of the Plugin and its configuration?

Please advise.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 15.58.50.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 15.58.50.png (387.62 KiB) Viewed 11880 times
Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 15.56.57.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 15.56.57.png (364.13 KiB) Viewed 11880 times

dloughland

Re: Basic questions for the Chocolatey Plugin for Automate

Post by dloughland »

It's been quite some time without reply, however I'm going to piggy back off your query to see if I can get an answer for your point 3.

I find it frustrating I can't set "Update" only, as there's lots of software out there that if the client has it install, I want to keep it up to date, but by no means do I want to be filling up everyone's computers with apps they don't need.

Is an update only patch on the horizon?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Wow sorry some where I missed this original post.

1) For the configuration of the Global settings (Control Center >Tools > Chocolatey for Automate), is it required to configure the section "Poll"? What are the settings for "LT Server ID", "Local Sys Admin" and "Password"?
<<Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 15.56.57.png>>

No you do not have to configure polling it is an optional function to load software tiles from the public repository. If you already know the apps you want just add those apps in to the global manager.

2) Is it possible to configure the Plugin and framework to perform only application updates, only when the are already installed on a Computer? The global application settings accept only "Install" and "Install + Update". Selecting only "Update" is not possible.
<<Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 15.58.50.png>>

No, Chocolaty was designed to install and maintain apps. Even if app is already installed.

Example: PC has Google Chrome installed prior to Chocolaty, For chocolaty to manage Google Chrome you would add Google to Chocolaty Apps and then deploy it as a install and update. It would go to agent and tell powershell to install. If app is the same version then chocolaty will associate Google Chrome with the repo package name and will be able to update moving forward.

3) How do I access the settings to configure the scheduling for application updates? The video tutorial created in the year 2016 does present an option for scheduling. However, the current version does not seem to have them.

The plugin is now automatic and checks daily for updates. Will update as needed when needed.

4) Does the Chocolaty framework need to be installed on every computer endpoint? If so, is the Plugin going to deploy the software framework automatically? How is the deployment managed from Automate?

All endpoints under management for apps and yes it will auto deploy everything needed. Allow 24 hours after enabling a client to see it working. Automaton is on an internal CW timer.

4) Is there an up-to-date more detailed documentation or video tutorials for the current version of the Plugin and its configuration?

I have not created any new documentation for Chocolaty, not saying a refresh of data couldn't be used. I will look into this and see what we can do about that.

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

dloughland wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:15 am It's been quite some time without reply, however I'm going to piggy back off your query to see if I can get an answer for your point 3.

I find it frustrating I can't set "Update" only, as there's lots of software out there that if the client has it install, I want to keep it up to date, but by no means do I want to be filling up everyone's computers with apps they don't need.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Dan,

Think of Install as (if missing install but if already there associate with repo package) There can not be a update without a "install" the install is an update if installed software is out of date but only a setup of the Chocolaty frame work if app is already installed and current.

dloughland

Post by dloughland »

Cubert wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:15 pm
dloughland wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:15 am It's been quite some time without reply, however I'm going to piggy back off your query to see if I can get an answer for your point 3.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Dan,

Think of Install as (if missing install but if already there associate with repo package) There can not be a update without a "install" the install is an update if installed software is out of date but only a setup of the Chocolaty frame work if app is already installed and current.
Cubert,

Apologies, I didn't have my email notifications turned on, so I've only just discovered this reply.

OK, understand how it's designed to work. My issue is, we have some clients using two different variants of a product, such as some users using 365 Apps for Business, whilst some using 365 Apps for Enterprise. Some users also require Java for some custom apps, whereas I'd prefer it if computers didn't have Java installed, unless they actually needed it.

Is it possible to have more granular control at the agent level? I can see that if its set to install at the client level, then I can disable it at the agent level, is it possible to do this in reverse? If I have 500 agents in for a client, and only 2 agents require 1 app, I don't want to have to manually deselect the app for 498 agents.

Thanks,
Dan

Return to “Chocolatey For Labtech”