Chocolatey installing Unlisted Apps

Support and questions for using and managing Chocolatey NuGet inside of Labtech
jeremyroe

Chocolatey installing Unlisted Apps

Post by jeremyroe »

One of my engineers deployed chocolatey and didn't study the guide beforehand. As a result, he deployed malwarebytes accidentally to a site that didn't want it. Uninstall failed so he manually remoted in and removed it.

Following that incident, I went through and reset the entire chocolatey system up per the guide / video and have apps on an approval only basis. Malwarebytes is not even a listed approved app. That said, the past 2 days about a dozen machines at that site the previously had the issue were pushed Malwarebytes again by the system.

What would cause this, How do I resolve it to prevent reoccurrence and have this site be included in updates?

jeremyroe

Re: Chocolatey installing Unlisted Apps

Post by jeremyroe »

Could use some assistance here guys . . . Apps NOT IN APPROVED are installing!

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

That may have been a Chocolatey framework thing. If Chocolatey still thought it had this app installed and the update command was called then Chocolatey (the framework) goes out and updates/or in the case of missing software reinstalls it.

So make sure when uninstalling softwares that us do it through the Chocolatey framework either inside our plugin or manually. This will make sure that Choco.exe does not reattempt the installs thinking there is a corrupted (missing) version installed..

benf

Post by benf »

It could also be in scripts. When you deploy if the machines were offline a scheduled script gets put in place to install when the machine checks in. So over the next few days if you had devices off they would also then get the install.

If you make a mistake I have found the first thing to do is goto scheduled scripts and delete everything you dont want

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

YEap that two, good observation.

Return to “Chocolatey For Labtech”