Warning on "No Contact" results

This forum supports the ESX Host Health Monitor plugin. When posting post screenshots of issues and any script and command logs listed in the probe consoles.
rshaw.golden

Warning on "No Contact" results

Post by rshaw.golden »

I just took over administration recently on our Automate system, and while doing some cleanup on the ESXI plugin, I found a couple hosts are flagging Warning in the Client window, but the CIM panel shows all green. A little bit of digging and I think I found the issue.

The listings that are flagging are returning 12, or "No Contact" instead of 2, which is the normal "OK" response. This shows as fine in the CIM display itself, but apparently fails the criteria the plugin checks for. Is there any way to fix this to prevent false alarms ourselves, or do we need to wait for an update on the plugin?

On the plus side, it at least doesn't seem to have triggered any extraneous tickets!

Side note: The reason I am asking is that I would prefer to not just disable those items, as they include a couple drive bays and I don't want to run into an issue where those get used and because of a change a long time back that no one remembers no monitoring gets applied to them.

Cubert

Re: Warning on "No Contact" results

Post by Cubert »

Yes, you can modify the database table that makes that judgement, see image below.

Sort SQL Query on the "DataValue" and look for "12"
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (45.32 KiB) Viewed 16249 times

Using SQL you can modify the value of the number for each know host type. This should then on next probe change the values of the alarm.

rshaw.golden

Post by rshaw.golden »

That makes sense but doesn't seem to be making a difference. It was actually already set to good without any intervention on my part, and it showed up fine in the CIM list itself, but on the summary it still shows warning.
Annotation 2020-01-22 114659.png
Annotation 2020-01-22 114659.png (18.05 KiB) Viewed 16242 times
Annotation 2020-01-22 114553.png
Annotation 2020-01-22 114553.png (7.96 KiB) Viewed 16242 times
Anything else we can try?

Cubert

Post by Cubert »

Ah..

That's a different bean all together. What your seeing there is exactly what the CIM output is, we are not interpreting it at all. When you mouse over the yellow image it will display a tooltip pop up that gives the actual output from the CIM host. If it says warning, Failure or Critical then an image to represent that is displayed.

In the actual CIM data we can control what a status number to status type equals but the raw output from CIM is not modified at all when in summary mode.

Ticketing works off of the CIM data so as long as your OK there then alarms and tickets will not result. You can adjust monitors to only fire when failure or critical is seen which is what I believe the default was.

rshaw.golden

Post by rshaw.golden »

Alright, thank you for the explanation. It just was a bit concerning when I saw that immediately after fixing communication, and wanted to see if there was anything for us to do there. We'll keep that in mind in the future!

Return to “VMWare ESX Host Health Monitor”